Hancock's Half Hour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was going to put this in the "You couldn't make it up" thread but i think it deserves its own.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has admitted breaking social distancing guidance after pictures of him kissing an aide were published in a newspaper.

He said he had "let people down" after photos emerged of him with Gina Coladangelo - whom he appointed - and was "very sorry".

Labour urged the PM to sack Mr Hancock, calling his position "untenable".

But Downing Street said Boris Johnson accepted Mr Hancock's apology and "considers the matter closed".

Asked whether the prime minister had "full confidence" in Mr Hancock, the PM's spokesman replied: "Yes."

The Sun reported that its pictures of Mr Hancock and Ms Coladangelo, both of whom are married with children, had been taken inside the Department of Health on 6 May.

1624634540110.png

Social distancing at work is not a legal requirement, but it is recommended by the government that people keep 2m apart where possible - or 1m with "risk mitigation", such as standing side by side or wearing masks.

On 6 May, in England, gathering indoors for work purposes was permitted but only if "reasonably necessary".

Labour Party chairwoman Annaliese Dodds said: "If Matt Hancock has been secretly having a relationship with an adviser in his office - whom he personally appointed to a taxpayer-funded role - it is a blatant abuse of power and a clear conflict of interest...

"His position is hopelessly untenable. Boris Johnson should sack him."

And the party said the matter was "definitely not closed, despite the government's attempts to cover it up".

'Doing whatever he liked'

The Liberal Democrats called on Mr Hancock to resign and accused him of "hypocrisy" over social distancing.

Health spokeswoman Munira Wilson said: "He was telling families not to hug loved ones, while doing whatever he liked in the workplace."

In a statement, Mr Hancock, a 42-year-old father of three, said: "I accept that I breached the social distancing guidance in these circumstances. I have let people down and am very sorry.

"I remain focused on working to get the country out of this pandemic, and would be grateful for privacy for my family on this personal matter."

Mr Hancock cancelled a visit to a Covid vaccination centre at Newmarket Racecourse, in his West Suffolk constituency, on Friday morning, a few hours after the Sun had published its story.

Ms Coladangelo, who has known the health secretary since they worked together on student radio at Oxford University, was made a non-executive director of the Department of Health last September.

The role comes with a £15,000 salary and involves 15 to 20 days of work per year.

Last November the Times reported that Mr Hancock had failed to declare their friendship when appointing Ms Coladangelo as an adviser in March last year.

She held the role for six months before becoming a member of the Department of Health's non-executive board.

Full Article -
Matt Hancock affair: Health secretary apologises for breaking social distancing guidelines - BBC News

With his track record, Johnson can hardly hang him out to dry over this.

Its not about his personal life I bet there's a few on here that may have been down that avenue but as he has broken Covid rules and he is high profile in the telling us to carry them out he must go. I think Boris will tough it out for a day or two but there is no way he can stay in that position and he will go with a struggle.
Any honourable person would put their hands up and go

At least it distracts from his professional shady dealings.

...they all bleat out the classic..."I'm sorry " tripe...I'd make him sorry.
Thumb screws,a smack in the teeth and pushed in the nettles.

By any normal standards Hancock absolutely should have gone by now. However, our current government has been utterly shameless in their conduct so far and just brazened it out when it comes to being exposed for lying, corruption, bullying and general double standards. Boris can't exactly take the moral high ground and seems incapable of making a decision and sacking anyone unless they disagree with him or upset his Mrs.

Last edited:
...they all bleat out the classic..."I'm sorry " tripe...I'd make him sorry.
Thumb screws,a smack in the teeth and pushed in the nettles.
Generally people are only sorry when they are caught which is totally insincere

Did he say "I'm sorry" to his wife? Did she say "The matter is now closed"?
She's an osteopath; could be painful.
I make no comment on his playing away from home; I find adultery cowardly and morally dishonest, but that is my own personal standpoint and I can not / should not impose it on others.

I'm purely interested in his ability to do his job. As he has just broken his own rules; rules that he still has to tell the nation to follow, his ability to do his job is now a big fat zero. He has zero credibility.

He has to go. Now.

I've just read on twitter that the legal regulations in place around workplace interaction said at the time these videos were taken that you needed a good reason to come into contact with colleagues. They were statutory instruments....

Issued by.........

The Secretary of State for Health.

Hang the hypocrite.

3 weeks ago when the Cummings thing came out i said to my misses Hancock is on his way out, when i saw this i ****** myself what an utter DH he is, thrown it all down the swanny for a bit of the holy triangle, he deserves everything he gets and should be sacked

Latest posts

Back