Hand Pull Angram Beer Pump and connecting it to kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dturtill

Reaction score
Afternoon,

Sorry if this has been asked a lot but I have just been given an angram Hand pull Beer pump that has been removed from a bar, As far as I can tell it doesn't need co2 to pull the beer (I can put the white part of the pump in a jug of water and can pull this through) Is it just a case of getting a hose (3/8 I think to replace the missing one in the white part and then feeding this into a mini Keg

sorry for the unclear details will try and add some photos

Photos may help

Attachments

• PXL_20210430_163638367.jpg
    PXL_20210430_163638367.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20210430_163640997.jpg
    PXL_20210430_163640997.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20210430_163632216.jpg
    PXL_20210430_163632216.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 55
Yeap, that looks good. From my poor knowledge that is a 'demand valve' or similar which helps the keg hold pressure - ie beer won't get forced up from a pressurised keg and through the tap without you pumping.

So yes all you need to to feed it with something. As I like to keep it simple, I just strick my pump into a 2 litre PET bottle of beer or 5 litre max, and don't worry about adding co2 or keeping it pressurised - I just get it drunk in one go!

The other two blue pipes you have are probably for a cooling jacket, in a bar chilled glycerin or similar would run through those and keep the beer in the pump chamber and the pump cold, as otherwise half the beer would be at room temp. Again, not an issue for me and I use the pump rarely and when it is used it seems to go fast!

Old one but ... that link to a "beer engine strip" down shows the author puzzling over a red "sparkler". It isn't a sparkler but a one-way valve that seals the pump shut when not pumping. Would keep the cylinder full of beer separated from air. What I use timer activated valves for (most would find bothering to do that a right PITA).

Just the job!

Anyone know where to get 'em?

BTW:
... From my poor knowledge that is a 'demand valve' or similar which helps the keg hold pressure ...
He was quite right, but a deplorable act! A demand valve prevents an unintentionally fermenting casked beer (hard spiled to hold on to condition between sessions) from forcing out of the unattended pump on to the floor, or, having the cask higher than the pump so the beer syphons out. Serving fizzy keg beer from a handpump is for tarts and grotesque monsters only (and unfortunately goes on quite a bit!).

Old one but ... that link to a "beer engine strip" down shows the author puzzling over a red "sparkler". It isn't a sparkler but a one-way valve that seals the pump shut when not pumping. Would keep the cylinder full of beer separated from air. What I use timer activated valves for (most would find bothering to do that a right PITA).

Just the job!

Anyone know where to get 'em?

BTW:

He was quite right, but a deplorable act! A demand valve prevents an unintentionally fermenting casked beer (hard spiled to hold on to condition between sessions) from forcing out of the unattended pump on to the floor, or, having the cask higher than the pump so the beer syphons out. Serving fizzy keg beer from a handpump is for tarts and grotesque monsters only (and unfortunately goes on quite a bit!).
Hi peebee
I got that red " shut off " valve with the other sparklers when I bought the beer engine second or third hand down here in New Zealand.
I couldn't find the red SOV on RLBS or other sites even when I emailed them.

You certainly can serve beer through that red one it really acts a bit like a spring loaded bottle filler on the end of the wands. I haven't checked it much to see how watertight it is to keep the beer in the spout. Would there be any advantage to using this for serving a few pints at home or many in a pub during a session, you could just seal the spout at the end of the session for the same effect.

Back