Hand Pull Beer Engine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. And of course, the W is for Mr Whitworth. What he'd make of such crazy designations with his name attached is anyone's' guess.
He’d turn in his grave. What few people realise is that he brought unity to Mechanical Engineering, at a time when each Manufacturer used threads of their own design.

Will silicone hose implode on a beer engine when pulling a pint or will the positive pressure prevent this?

It’s all I have in stock at the moment apart from yellow garden hose..

image.jpg

Silicone is probably most prone to collapse. I'll try and get a stiffer type. PVC tends to discolour.

Avoid silicone hose as you are right about the oxygen permeability.
I had a slime build up when I used it and this was after about 3 weeks.
I switched to the blue stuff they use for caravan water systems. Slightly smaller than 1/2 inch but a dunk in hot water and it softens to give a good fit on 1/2 hose barb

Was your silicone the platinum stuff from the home brew shops? As the spec seems to read very well.
https://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/...anslucent-platinum-cured-silicone-tubing.html
It was while using the platinum cured stuff I learnt about the porosity of silicone tubing to air (sick...). "Milk hose" (the form often seen for purchase) should be. I think the platinum cured silicone is the only food grade form?

So I was pre-warned when trying to find the source of bad beer from my handpump, despite sealing the handpump nozzle after every use (in Angram pumps the pump's piston is joined to the nozzle with silicone tube; I've replaced it).

Believe me, oxygen passing through even that short length of hose turned the beer in the hose overnight. After a day or two the beer in the cylinder was bad. You plan to use silicone hose on the keg side of the pump and risk the entire keg! Okay, the demand valve will protect the keg but the beer in the pump and connecting pipes will be lost. Most hand pump uses seem to resign themselves to such losses anyway ... and rinse the pump out just about every day too!

I certainly don't. Nor do I suffer from the need to rinse the pump frequently (it's impossible to dry a rinsed pump, and I don't care for watered-down beer).

Get rid of that silicone hose ASAP!

(EDIT: The peroxide cured form may be passed as food-grade. But this from Altec's Web site: "Standard peroxide-cured silicone will leech chemicals as bi-products of the curing process. AlteSil Prime™ is Platinum-Cured, with the only bi-product being water.")

Last edited:
Very true! Inches of Water Gauge is a scale used for very low pressure differences. Such pressures are usually measured with a water-filled ‘U’ shaped glass tube called a manometer where the difference in height of the liquid in each leg is recorded. One pound per square inch is about equal to 28 inches WG, so 2” or 3” is extremely small indeed. It is quite enough though to move the large rubber diaphragm found in cask breathers.

Here endeth the lesson.
The modern day measurement is mmHG(millimetres Mercury)

Back