Hangover beer mistakes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't that where the term blind drunk comes from- high concentrations of methanol due to unscrupulous breweries rushing the fermentation at high temps and having bad bacteria/dodgy yeast contamination?

Tend to keep on top of hydration and then it just leaves me with the lack of sleep to contend with (nights that end in potential hangovers are usually late ones).
Need to have a session purely on homebrew to see if it’s better or worse.

Plenty of fluid during the day, pint of water before bed and all the coffee the morning after.

Watched a TV programme with those 2 twin doctors. One drank alcohol and the other drank soft drinks. They collected their urine(!) and compared "output". No difference between them. They said the hangovers are caused by the breaking down of alcohol and the chemicals produced, not dehydration

Watched a TV programme with those 2 twin doctors. One drank alcohol and the other drank soft drinks. They collected their urine(!) and compared "output". No difference between them. They said the hangovers are caused by the breaking down of alcohol and the chemicals produced, not dehydration

The dehydration generally happens once you’re done peeing.

Alcohol will naturally dehydrate tissue as it breaks down. There is more than enough liquid in beer to make up for this, but the problem is you tend to pee all of that liquid out long before your liver manages to clear the alcohol from your system, hence when you go to bed you are left with a load of alcohol in your system, and the only way it can get moisture is extracting it from your cells.

The dehydration generally happens once you’re done peeing.

Alcohol will naturally dehydrate tissue as it breaks down. There is more than enough liquid in beer to make up for this, but the problem is you tend to pee all of that liquid out long before your liver manages to clear the alcohol from your system, hence when you go to bed you are left with a load of alcohol in your system, and the only way it can get moisture is extracting it from your cells.
That wasn't their findings, and they included blood tests for hydration levels;
"Many people believe that we feel hung-over because we're severely dehydrated after a night on the booze. But the twins' findings, which involved urinating into flasks and then having blood tests to measure hydration levels, flew in the face of this theory."
https://m.qt.com.au/news/tv-experiment-may-change-way-you-drink-alcohol/3185554/

I've read that certain (largely undesirable) chemicals in beer are responsible for hangovers. I made a strongish beer last year and decided that one pack of yeast might not quite be enough, so I chucked a 6g pack (of doubtful vintage) in as well. The result was a cloudy beer that had an apply aroma and unpleasant taste. I managed to force half a pint down before tipping it down the sink. The following morning my head was uncomfortable, to say the least.
When I looked through my list of off flavours, I discovered it was acetaldehyde (a.k.a. ethanal as Pottsworth mentioned above) and can be caused by old unviable yeast. The other 30+ bottles are still in my garage, in the vain hope they will someday improve and become drinkable. aunsure....
They won't. I held on to a cider kit years ago and only chucked it after well over a year. Also a yeast related cause. Don't clutter up your storage area. Bin the lot now, and move on.

They won't. I held on to a cider kit years ago and only chucked it after well over a year. Also a yeast related cause. Don't clutter up your storage area. Bin the lot now, and move on.

It’s been many many years since I did A level chemistry, but I believe the adehyde has lower enthalpy/entropy (can’t remember which), which basically means it is in a lower energy state that the alcohol. Therefore to turn it back to an alcohol you would need to put energy in, in the presence of a suitable reducing agent.

In short - not going to happen, bin it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back