Hangover Discussion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St00

Vogon Poet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I attended a Fringe event from the Cloudwater Friends and Family festivities last night at the Northern Monk Refectory in Manchester. The guys from the Malt Miller were there and some representatives from White Labs.

As a result I'm at work a delicate, fragile, flower of a man.

What's everyone's go to hangover buffers?

I'm finding Nick Cave's softer efforts very helpful.

My hangover breakfast:

Rehydration tablet for electrolytes,
Fruit smoothie for sugars,
Strong coffee for caffeine (reduces headache),
Calcium carbonate to settle stomach,
And 2 ibuprofen for various other aches and pains.

Food of choice. Lots of water. Double expresso - and more water as its a diuretic.

As soon as things have settled, go for a gentle run or ride. Sweat it out.

Although, I have to admit, its rare I drink so much that I'm totally minging these days.

2 Paracetamol
2 Ibuprofen
2 bottles of Dr Pepper or Coca Cola
2 pints of water with Berocca
Peanut Butter on Toast
Bike ride

Just don't drink so much so you don't get a serious hangover i.e. know your limit.
There may come an incident in everyone's life when you have gone seriously OTT in term of alcohol consumption and that is the 'duh!' moment.
It's a bit like stopping smoking.
I had my duh! moments years ago.

This was a very rare occurrence of school night drinking. There was a tasting of various beers from professional breweries, which wasn't publicized and they gave out free drinks vouchers, which I wasn't expecting for a free unticketed event. There were also a lot of attendees, some from the Manchester Homebrew club, Macclesfield and Wigan Homebrew club members in attendance too.

Everyone brought a few bottles for people to try. I took a few bottles of my Bells Two Hearted clone as I've never tried the original and wanted feedback and a few bottles of my Funktown pale ale, which I just wanted to show off cause I'm proud of it athumb..

I've seen friends and neighbours with terrible hangovers but, like seasickness, I have never had one!

I have felt a bit fragile the next day after a drinking session and I've even thrown up due to an excess of drink, but if I ever felt like "I'm about to die!" (one of the descriptions I have heard), I swear that I will give up drinking!

I well remember that mate of mine and I took our wives to a local night-club and over the time we were there, we consumed +/- 18 pints each of Double Diamond. Double Diamond was a fairly low ABV beer which "Works Wonders" according to the ad at the time.

At 3am we went round to his place for a few chip butties and at 7am we turned up for work. (My mate after a quick nap and a shower, me after a quick trip home and a shower.) "Work" at that time meant that we were in charge of the gas plant that delivered about 21% of the UK's gas!

Happy Days. asad. asad.

I haven't had a hangover since switching to my own wine i usually start the night with a couple of bottles of beer then i switch to wine i have no idea why i no longer suffer it certainly isn't due to drinking less.

https://ulverstonoldphotos.freeforums.net/

Last edited:
I haven't had a hangover since switching to my own wine i usually start the night with a couple of bottles of beer then i switch to wine i have no idea why i no longer suffer it certainly isn't due to drinking less.
Since I have brewed my own beer its funny but I do not get hangovers as they say is it because there is not anything in there that shouldn't be? I may get the odd squiffy feeling when I first get up but never develops into a hangover even if I over indulge

Since I have brewed my own beer its funny but I do not get hangovers as they say is it because there is not anything in there that shouldn't be? I may get the odd squiffy feeling when I first get up but never develops into a hangover even if I over indulge
I have noticed this now that I will only drink craft beer and my own homebrew.

I also wimp out nowadays and do not brew anything over 4.5% ABV but 8 eight pints of that is enough, I brew so that I can have a good drink and savour it not to get smashed

Very rarely get hangovers, those I do suffer are usually due to drinking too much whisky or other spirits. Go to cure, lots of water and some hearty food.

If I have a skinful, I always crack open a can of coke before bed and let it go flat overnight.
Then drink a pint of water and try to get a goodnight kip.
When I wake up I wash 2 paracetamol down with the flat coke and then cram a sausage sandwich down my gob.

Works a charm

Back