Hangover Discussion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for prevention - don't drink :coat:

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F78f878da-265c-11e9-8d35-0e32f390087a.png

I'm hangover proof never had one. I suppose I fall asleep before I can drink enough for a hangover even with a recent record of 24 units in a day :oops:

I find the best cure is 'person' up and get down the allotment for a couple of hours of hard labour! Works a charm. You can then spend the rest of the day feeling sorry for yourselves knowing you've at least done something productive.

Avoid the paracetamol and ibuprofen. Your liver has suffered enough and it will not thank you for paracetamol. And Ibuprofen on an already delicate/empty stomach is never a good idea. Plenty of food, drink and rest. Or try not to drink so much.

I attended a Fringe event from the Cloudwater Friends and Family festivities last night at the Northern Monk Refectory in Manchester. The guys from the Malt Miller were there and some representatives from White Labs.

As a result I'm at work a delicate, fragile, flower of a man.

What's everyone's go to hangover buffers?

I'm finding Nick Cave's softer efforts very helpful.

Too late now fella!

You should have gorged on water last night and take a pint to drink in the night should you wake up. Rare I get a hangover doing this.

If I just “fell asleep” and couldn’t drink water before bed then the next day would be water and exercise - the theory being to flush the system ASAP.

I have had trouble in general staying hydrated the last few months and found just a couple of beers was giving me a hangover. I find that if I drink a bottle sports Hydration drink on the day I'm drinking it really helps prevent the hangover.

Slosh of Lambs or Captain morgans in the mid morning coffee.

So these are my rules, with an addition I learnt this weekend lol

1). ALWAYS have alkaseltzer in the house it is a freakin’ godsend. And antacids.
2). Stay. On. The. White.
drank a bottle of red Friday night (possibly with some Madeira’s or something as well lol) and I had a headache for most of Saturday.
Stick to the whites.
3). if you feel sleepy go bed. Don’t stay awake another hour and drink more and regret it. Just go bed lol.
4). Buy good coffee for the next day. It really helps.
5). There is no such thing as ‘hair of the dog’. You’ll make it worse.

1) Drink good beer or good red wine. Don't try both in one session. Avoid having a whisky as a night cap.
2) Sleep
3) Tea, breakfast, exercise.
4) I can't do this anymore, but when I worked on oil tankers, get down the engine room, drink lots of water, work and sweat a lot.
5) Dioralyte is good stuff

Probably sounds silly. But I try and hydrate by drinking some water before I go to bed. Then again when I get up, then usually go for a 5k run at an above average pace followed by a cold shower, works most of the time :)

Pretty sure my body hates me though....

I rarely get hangovers but there are things you can do to try and limit their impact / severity.

As mentioned, drink good beer. Avoid mixing your drinks; start as you mean to go on. Get enough sleep. Drink water before going to bed. Don't get pished on a school night; recovery is always easier when you can just chill at home.

All the “cures” and solutions is cute, but we know they don’t work.

A true blooter will leave you in a state of disrepair wherein you can’t even hold water down.

So saying fruit smoothies or electrolyte tablets fixes a hangover is simply not true. It just means the hangover isn’t bad enough.

There’s no cure.

All the “cures” and solutions is cute, but we know they don’t work.

A true blooter will leave you in a state of disrepair wherein you can’t even hold water down.

So saying fruit smoothies or electrolyte tablets fixes a hangover is simply not true. It just means the hangover isn’t bad enough.

There’s no cure.
True, the only real cure is time, however that doesn't mean we can't try to reduce the suffering by treating the symptoms.

Latest posts

Back