Hankering for Wheat Beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damienair

Landlord.
Reaction score
I thought I'd finished for the year. However I decided on Thursday evening to get 2 kits. Today a courier arrived with an order from the HomeBrew Company. I got a Festival Weiss Beer and a Wit or Wit out you from the Bruphoria range. I'm going to stick on the Festival Kit tomorrow and put the other on over Christmas. I've nothing but IPA's and Pale Ales in my Garage. Looking forward to having Wheat Beers in the stash again.

I've got the ingredients for a wheat in my next few brews. Been perfecting my recipe and I have to say it's pretty darn good, at least to my taste. Might not suit the purists but I add a bit of crystal to give it a bit of colour. Also realised it doesn't have to be 100% wheat malt or extract, I use around 40% pale malt. Late additions of dried range peel and coriander finish it off nicely.

@Sandimas : or a bit of Munich malt for colour. When I brew a wheat beer I use 70% wheat malt and 30% pilsner malt, so that it can be filtered (need husks!), longer mashing seems to help filtering.

I made up the Bruphoria Wit or Wit out you kit this morning. It was a 2 can kit, 2 cans 1.5Kg each of Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt Extract, Mangrove Jack's Belgian Wit M21 Yeast, and a small bottle labeled A which was added just before the yeast. I'll be adding a hop tbag in 10 days. What's the little bottle of additive for? Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20211207_103046.jpg
    IMG_20211207_103046.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 34
I really enjoy wheat beers. In the last Yeast Lucky Dip I got from BrewUK I got 3 liquid yeast wheat beer strains. A Belgian style and 2x German styles. My favourite was WY3056 Bavarian wheat beer blend. Pretty simple recipe:

50% wheat
50% Bohemian pilsner

32g Saaz @ 60min
50g Fuggles @ 10 mins

WY3056 fermentedat 20°C for a few days then increased to 22 to finish it off.

Seemed to come out very clean, almost lager like, but with those subtle spice esters from the yeast.

I got a Festival Weiss Beer

Brewed that 10/10/21, 2wks+2wks+4wks so far. Totally stock, as per instructions, kept temp in the 22-24C range for ester flavours.

Very nice, classic wheat beer flavour, swirl around the last bit in the bottle and pour to get the proper sediment effect. Will do again, may customise with some of the mad stuff I’ve heard about (curaçao, coriander, etc).

All the best with your brew.

I've had a slightly unusual fermentation with this Brew. The previous couple of times I have made a wheat beer there was a very active fermentation with krausen coming up through the airlock.
This was way more sedate, 1 day of airlock bubbling, then nothing. I knew it was still fermenting but it seemed to stop after 5-6 days. I was due to add the hop tea tomorrow, but the gravity reading is just 1.012. I was expecting it to be lower. Not sure if it will drop much further. But I'll leave it for a few days longer just incase. With a starting gravity of 1.040 the ABV is just 3.68% at the moment.

Latest posts

Back