Happy and sad brewing problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
Well I'm very happy that I have just bottled my Belgian honey pale ale. This was my 2nd all grain and had a sip and it's tastes amazing!!!

I did however bottle my last glass bottle so don't have anymore for my next brew :-(

It also made me realise that I have got over 100 bottles either ready to drink,conditioning or clearing. :lol:

I want to put another brew on this weekend with a hob goblin clone however I just don't have the space.

Anybody got any good space saving ideas or places to hide beer bottles.:lol:

Build yourself a nice wall. Just remember to drink from the top.
f0dfda10100c46e2fecc808c70fdbda3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bigger the storage system the smaller the room needed to store it.

I suggest that you use:

o 25 litre kegs for the brews you like.

o 5 litre MK's for brews you serve to guests (and can finish off if the MK doesn't get emptied).

o Bottles for those beers that can or need laying down for a few months. (Stouts, Barley Wines etc)

Alternatively, tell the girlfriend that she deserves better ... :lol: :lol:

... and make damn sure that there is a huge "Me" space in the new property! :thumb: :thumb:

Another vote for kegs, I only use easy kegs but they're tremendous, save a load of room and are much quicker/easier to fill. They serve better than bottles for most beers too I think.

Another vote for kegs, I only use easy kegs but they're tremendous, save a load of room and are much quicker/easier to fill. They serve better than bottles for most beers too I think.

This for me, although with the disclaimer that Minikegs/Easykegs aren't particularly suited to lagers, wheat beers or anything with high levels of carbonation.

Another one here for Easy/Mini kegs. They hold about the same amout of beer as about 18x500ml bottles but the footprint is much smaller. You can dot them around your house whereever you've got a bit of space (on top of cupboards, under the bed, behind chairs, etc) I keep most of mine inand on top of the bookshelf and in front of the books as the shelves are deep enough.
They're also much faster to fill then bottles and are relatively cheap. You can just use the itegrated gravity tap or upgrade to a party star tap

Easy kegs for christmas it is then. Fingers crossed I've got 4 on order at least

At least i'll have a great reason to stop gifting people my precious beer. :lol:

How long do the kegged beers last? I went for bottles originally so I could keep them for many months before I risked them going stale.

On the flip side my current brews are 23l batches - aiming for 40 bottles. How consistent can you guys do two consecutive smaller batches, say 10 litres? I'd probably have to be far more careful with my small hop addition weighing!

while Kegs have their advantages they do require a wee investnment and space to dedicate to thier storage at an ideal temp ( kegfridge...)
Bottles can be crated and stacked anywhere ;) Also consider employing a few 2l pet bottles, thier use cuts down on the bottle cleaning n prep And when entertaining can be decanted into a serving jug, (they work well when decanted off the sediment in one )

a shed or even a tarp in the back garden can provide a bottle store, freezing temps are not a problem as the beer is full of alcohol ;) shove em in the loft.

And while they will keep best at a stable temperature once they have conditioned its not really that crucial, My garage is an oven mid summer and a freezing teabag in winter and brews stored for 12months in such conditions pour n sup great.

Another benefit of stashing bottles all over is the unexpected discovery of a forgotten brew on occasion ;)

ps i also keep a few All sorts crates adding a couple of bottles from a brew for an occasional show n tell supping with a pal or 2.

If crates are hard to scrounge or find, plastic storage boxes also work, just dont use BIG ones and limit 12-24 bottles per box..

Milk bottle crates are great for moving bottles about. Alas the standard 0.5l beer bottles are a little taller, but the crates still stack ish! Ideal would be to make a few feet to lift the crates apart. Perhaps I'll dust off the extrusion printer here at work sometime soon! :-D

Latest posts

Back