Harris Wine Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowdave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having made most of the 6 bottle Beaverdale range and a few Solomon Grundy fruit wines I thought for my 1st 30 bottle kits I would try the Harris range. I was thinking that the lack of a "brand" may mean that there was more quality to the kits.

First up was the Chardonnay (unoaked) which I brewed to the instructions in a temp controlled environment. I kegged and carbonated 17 litres to drink as a "frizzante" and bottled 4 bottles. Been kegged for 2 weeks and it is certainly drinkable but still has a hint of sulphur on the nose. Mrs Slowdave can't detect this. It doesn't taste as nice as the Beaverdale Chardonnay at the same stage - I know it's still young!

I also brewed the Cabernet Sauvignon which I racked today after 2 weeks of fermentation - FG down to 992 - and a taster was very promising. I will nurture this through the next 2 weeks until bottling and then plan to leave for the autumn and winter.

I will keep this post updated for reference

Last edited:
Time for a follow up on this.

The Chardonnay keg was finished last weekend. The sulphur smell soon disappeared and the wine improved - overall mouthfeel and taste was excellent. The wine only took a small amount of carbonation but probably enough to be classed as frizzante.
Would have no hesitation in recommending this wine - or making this again.

The Cabernet Sauvignon is ok but not to the level of the chardonnay. It's a bit too acidic and not as good as the Beaverdale reds I've done.

Latest posts

Back