Harvest yeast from blow off container?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed an American Wheat beer, and made a good sized starter. The fermentation went bonkers, with a massive Krausen that soon overwhelmed the large head space and airlock and I had to quickly rig a blow-off pipe into a container of water and starsan.
It calmed down yesterday and I was able to refit the airlock. however I'm left with a flask with a good 150-200ml of yeast on the bottom of it. Reading up on Wyeast American wheat it says it's a top cropping strain, and also that Starsan is no detriment to yeast either. So..... can I wash it and re-use it?

Edit: I've washed it once as I had some spare boiled water laying around. It smells very yeasty and good! I might just chuck it in a starter and see what happens?

Last edited:
Probably a bit late now, but no I wouldn't. You'll probably be OK, but if your blow-off container is open to the atmosphere then it is open to contamination. It seems you have vigorous top-fermenter there - so I'd discard the excess blown-off yeast and harvest the yeast from the krausen within the FV, which has been under a protective CO2 blanket and not exposed to air/dust particles/fruit flies etc

Back