Harvested yeast starter calc question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran12s

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm bottling some brews this weekend and hoping to gather my first yeast harvest. The process seems fairly straight forward but I'm not sure about putting numbers in to the calculator.
E.g. I gather 2 litres of slurry, let it settle and decant the wort/water and collect the yeast layer. I end up with say 200ml of yeast in the final jar. For the calculator I put in .2l of slurry?

It seems pretty damn obvious now that I've actually written out but if someone could clarify anyway. Cheers!

Sorry I can't answer your question, but it does raise another one that is relevant to what you have asked. If intend to use trub from a previous brew I just collect enough to go in a sanitised pint glass, cover the glass with cling film and put it in the fridge, and aim to use it within two or three days. At pitching time I just take two or three loaded dessert spoons of the settled yeast and pitch that. Never fails and the brew is going within a few hours, beers turn out fine. Many know the problems with underpitching, but what does overpitching do?

I think overpitching means it can complete too fast so the yeast characteristics might not come through. That’s fine with neutral yeasts but would be an issue with English and Belgium I’d say.
I’ve only done it once and pitched a pint of slurry with quite a bit of yeast and it came out really well. It was American ale so neutral. Haven’t done it with English yeast yet but have some West Yorkshire ready to repitch if I go for it.

Cheers lads. I think I'll just collect as per the example above and hopefully it'll turn out 200ml ish of yeast. Give it a try and see! Best way to find out!

Latest posts

Back