harveys sussex

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza100

Reaction score
does anyone have a tried and tested clone recipe for harveys sussex ale.

my favourite draft beer!

mmmmmm

I have this in my records, from an unidentified source. I tried a variant of it and it turned out nothing like it but was certainly drinkable. You might have better luck if you go with it.

Harveys Sussex Bitter Clone
FERMENTABLES:
88.1% = 3.5 kg, Maris Otter Pale Malt
6.8% = 272 g, Dark Crystal Malt (≈90-115°L)
5.1% 204 g, Flaked Maize (don't skip this essential adjunct, trust me)

MASH ≈ 67°C 60 minutes or until converted.

SPARGE 77°C, collect 7 US gal/5.8 Imperial gal pre-boil, to allow for evaporation

BOIL 60-90 minutes

HOPS:
26 g, Progress, ≈6.3% AA, 60 minutes
26 g, Bramling Cross, ≈6.5% AA, 30 minutes
15 g, Fuggles, ≈5% AA, at flame-out, steep until cooled
15 g, Goldings, ≈5% AA, at flame-out, steep until cooled

afterwards, STEEP all hops awhile before chilling, transfer to fermenter, aerate, then pitch.

YEAST:
Harvey's proprietary dual-strain, top-cropped and repitched for over 50 years, possibly available as BrewLab Sussex 1, also used by nearby micros such as Rectory

OG: 1041
FG: 1010
ABV: 4.0%
IBU: 35
COLOUR: 9°SRM/18°EBC, light amber

The yeast is the key to this beer. I tried brewing this with the brewlabs yeast and also culturing from Harveys bottle condition beer but still wasn't as close to the original as I wanted.

Funnily enough I brewed this yesterday. I used a recipe similar to that posted by Terrym so likely the same source. My mash temp was a bit off (64 degrees) and I went with a 60 minute boil. I couldn't get hold of the sussex 1 yeast so went with Ringwood ale yeast. Its fermenting away nicely.

would love to know the result using the ringwood yeast.

i am unable to source the sussex yeast atm aswel.

This is my next brew as Harveys Best is definitely in my top-10 and plan to use the same recipe as above this time as an experiment (I tried a similar recipe last Christmas and chose not to use the Maize as that didn't sound very authentic and the result compared well with Harveys from a 5L tin). I used Mangrove Jack - Liberty Bell Ale M36 which I read somewhere on tinternet gave nice fruity flavours. Was pleased with the result although not the same as a freshly poured pint in Sussex.
LH - From the Harveys shop.
RH - My attempt.

D345921F-93F3-476B-95D0-9D24E5602CC9_1_201_a.jpeg

would love to know the result using the ringwood yeast.

i am unable to source the sussex yeast atm aswel.
Just to report back on this. I have just done a side by side comparison of Harvey's sussex best vs my beer. I will preface by saying that this is the best bitter recipe I have brewed so far.

Insofar as the comparison goes, the colour is identical. The aroma is almost the same. Mine is very slightly more hopforward and I detect slightly less malt aroma. On taste, mine has slightly less of a bitter finish. Mouthfeel, everything else is bang on. I suspect the subtle differences could be down to me screwing up on mash temp.

The differences are incredibly subtle though and if you asked for a pint of Sussex best in a pub and got my version, you wouldn't know.

Attachments

• 20201218_170603.jpg
    20201218_170603.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 69
I must do this one again, I did it previously with the recipe you had and it turned out great. No chance of getting a pint of the real thing round here.

Bramling Cross is such an under-rated hop. You don't hear of it in too many beers but it's my favourite hop.

Just to report back on this. I have just done a side by side comparison of Harvey's sussex best vs my beer. I will preface by saying that this is the best bitter recipe I have brewed so far.

Insofar as the comparison goes, the colour is identical. The aroma is almost the same. Mine is very slightly more hopforward and I detect slightly less malt aroma. On taste, mine has slightly less of a bitter finish. Mouthfeel, everything else is bang on. I suspect the subtle differences could be down to me screwing up on mash temp.

The differences are incredibly subtle though and if you asked for a pint of Sussex best in a pub and got my version, you wouldn't know.
Nice One! Thanks for the feedback 👍

Latest posts

Back