Has anybody already started to have problems with CO2 supply or price hikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
The latest news is that CO2 is going to be in short supply and Hospitals may be prioritised.
I am not fully au fait with what's happening but it looks like it is going to affect homebrewers.
So has anyone had issues as of yet?
Oh and as the thread is about CO2 supply please do not make this into a major political thread as it is Saturday night and lets play nice

I know for a fact a big fertilizer plant near me has shut down and it's sister plant in Norway due to the price of natural gas to produce fertilizer, co2 is a by product of that process, also pig farmers are struggling as the use co2 in the slaugter process as do food packaging companys

Yep. Huge demand for gas due to economies bouncing back after Covid, plus increased demand in the UK due to a number of reasons around renewables mean wholesale prices for gas have rocketed. This means it isn't profitable to make fertiliser, so they have shut down production. CO2 is a byproduct of fertiliser production so there are shortages.

I would get one if you have a empty Rod as it has escalated since the annoucement that existing customers would be ok as they say they will now prioritise hospitals and some businesses

Hi Samale I have done the same (soffits fascias and gutter quote went up a grand in 3 weeks)as some and only say some builders are using the genuine hike in product prices to hike their prices further and take advantage but I do say this tongue in cheek as there are plenty of responsible tradesmen out there too

I would get one if you have a empty Rod as it has escalated since the annoucement that existing customers would be ok as they say they will now prioritise hospitals and some businesses
My bottle is not empty still showing 20 bar but i am going to get another even if i have to pay another deposit which is £35 and £15 for gas

It's all about demand, everyone is spending money on home improvements. Money that would normally be spent on holiday's
Second hand cars is another example, my wife was looking at changing. She bought a vauxhall mokka over 2 years ago. She would get the same money back that she paid for a 2015 model

What do hospitals use it for?
For goodness sake, what do they teach in schools these days? Carbon dioxide is commonly used as an insufflation gas for minimal invasive surgery (laparoscopy, endoscopy, and arthroscopy) to enlarge and stabilize body cavities to provide better visibility of the surgical area. Carbon Dioxide can also be used for : Cryotherapy, where temperatures of -76° C, can be achieved.

I haven't just googled that, honest. 😁

The latest news is that CO2 is going to be in short supply and Hospitals may be prioritised.
I am not fully au fait with what's happening but it looks like it is going to affect homebrewers.
So has anyone had issues as of yet?
Oh and as the thread is about CO2 supply please do not make this into a major political thread as it is Saturday night and lets play nice

One minute we are producing so much CO2 the that the Planet cannot cope with it and we are all heading for extinction and the next there’s not enough of it so the price is going to have to go up 🤔

Latest posts

Back