Has anybody already started to have problems with CO2 supply or price hikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One minute we are producing so much CO2 the that the Planet cannot cope with it and we are all heading for extinction and the next there’s not enough of it so the price is going to have to go up 🤔
simples suck it out of the atmosphere and sell it*

As for gas prices I understand its been caused by the low output of renewables, so clearly we need to build more.*

in the uk tidal is the only guaranteed regular form of renewable energy - at least while the moon still orbits the earth.

*this may be a tongue in cheek suggestion.

This is my first one so I’m not sure how to read the dial. How much would you say is left in this?

F62571DC-20E4-4348-9B80-A6902380DD0F.jpeg

This cost me £70 but I’ve noticed he’s put the price up to £75 now for a full one.

Weight it. Tare weight is on the side of the bottle. You'll find that the bottle side pressure guage will fluctuate greatly with temp etc.
This is my first one so I’m not sure how to read the dial. How much would you say is left in this?

View attachment 54545

This cost me £70 but I’ve noticed he’s put the price up to £75 now for a full one.
Hi Lisa i would say that is ok, i have the same reg mine is just on the red hatched area, i got in April

View attachment 54545

The high pressure gauge is all but useless because the pressure inside the cylinder remains largely the same until all the liquid CO2 has been used up then it drops fast to zero.

You'll get a bit of up/down movement as the temperature changes but that's all I'm afraid until panic time.

Weighing it when you get it is the only way you can monitor consumption.

Anyone from the north east area know of anyplace to get gas, found somewhere near Sunderland £95! 70 of that being a deposit for the cylinder which seems a bit much considering you’re not really going to get that back 🙃

Thanks @Brew_DD2

My tare weight on the cylinder is 32lbs. And it weighs 42lbs. So I guess I have 10lbs or 4.5kg. So it's about 2/3 full. I'm ok for now then by the looks of it. If I run out though and can't get any I'll just bottle condition for a bit. No big deal. 😁

Edit - forgot to take off the weight of the regulator so there's a little less.

Last edited:
I use the 8g little c02 bulbs with my pressure barrels and wilko are out of stock of even those at the moment.

I just ordered 2 packs of different ones so should be ok for a good while.

If not I have over 100 bottles tucked away to go back to just using sugar if needs be.

I will not be denied :laugh8:

I pay 20 for a 2 kg why what are people paying
I suspect that you are primarily paying for the cost of refilling the cylinder more than the gas I.e. even a 400g soda stream cylinder isn’t that much cheaper than a 2KG or a 6KG cylinder when I last looked (I only use gas to dispense so a soda stream cylinder lasts a fair while for me and is convenient).

I have no idea how much bulk CO2 costs they don’t exactly publish the cost but I suspect you are looking at pennies per kilo with most of the cost being distribution and storage.

Anyone from the north east area know of anyplace to get gas, found somewhere near Sunderland £95! 70 of that being a deposit for the cylinder which seems a bit much considering you’re not really going to get that back 🙃
I got mine at top gas in South Shields and only paid £25. Happy days. That’s for 12 months rent and you only pay £25 on exchange

Back