Has anybody already started to have problems with CO2 supply or price hikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to get a bottle yesterday at my local Adams supplier, only to be told Adams are blocking new bottle orders at present. Don't know if that's true or them just saying it. Either way I left enoy handed and am still using soda Stream to carb

Went to get a bottle yesterday at my local Adams supplier, only to be told Adams are blocking new bottle orders at present.
I think that's correct, I went a couple of weeks ago to pick up a second cylinder for use in another location, there was a bit of confusion as the guy thought I was swapping out an empty one. In the end he would only let me have a new 3kg one and not a 6kg one. TBH that should be ok, I just wanted the bigger one as it's more economical, the deposit is practically the same and less than twice the price for the refill.

Anyone from the north east area know of anyplace to get gas, found somewhere near Sunderland £95! 70 of that being a deposit for the cylinder which seems a bit much considering you’re not really going to get that back 🙃
Was that Ashley Gases?

I have no idea how much bulk CO2 costs they don’t exactly publish the cost but I suspect you are looking at pennies per kilo with most of the cost being distribution and storage.

And safety certifications, and measurement certifications, and all the rest. This article about the current crisis suggests that the current wholesale price is 20p/kg, but it will have to go to £1/kg as a result of what's going on at the moment :
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-pay-tens-millions-get-carbon-dioxide-pumping-again-2021-09-22/

I managed to refill my Russell Gas bottle at Larbert £30 if anyone in the central nees gas.i was going get the refund on my Russell bottle but as they had gas decided to just keep it for now due to supply problem .
Lothian Supplies are up to £10 refill now and dont have spare bottles but have gas if you have one of their bottles ,so heading there to refill as my mate is nearly out of gas so that should keep us both going.

Wasn’t Ashley gases, can’t recall the name sure it was more Washington than Sunderland
Ashley Gases in Ryhope are normally reasonable. I’ll be needing a refill in a couple of months so hopefully all this will have calmed down by then!

Ashley Gases in Ryhope are normally reasonable. I’ll be needing a refill in a couple of months so hopefully all this will have calmed down by then!
I find this all amusing as soon as I got myself a keg set up there is a shortage on co2 just my luck 😅

I managed to pick up a 6.35kg bottle as a new Adams gas customer in Stains yesterday. £29 plus deposit. Seems that some places are accepting new customers.

This is my first one so I’m not sure how to read the dial. How much would you say is left in this?

View attachment 54545

This cost me £70 but I’ve noticed he’s put the price up to £75 now for a full one.

The best way to measure it is to stick the bottle on the scales and deduct the tare weight of the cylinder to know what weight of CO2 is left.

As others have said the high pressure gauge is more of a warning and in my experience with a 6.35kg bottle it only really drops when you get below 20% left.

For example, I have the same reg and when I last changed the (6.35kg) bottle the needle was half way into the hatched area, and weighing the bottle I had about 0.7kg of CO2 left. That would give me about 2-3 brews worth to purge the keg, carbonate the beer and serve.

Managed to get a refill on Friday. 6.25kg of CO2 for £12. Can't really complain at a £2 price increase.

Not sure if the are dealing with new customers but it's Master Gas in Ashton if anyone near Manchester is struggling.

Had no problem getting a refill last week from adnams gas thankfully.
co.JPG

Pyramid Steel -Aldershot, they have good stock levels, however they're still not supposed to sell new bottles, as I wanted to take a small one as well to carry around.
No price increase, maybe it was even a bit cheaper than last time.

Government reporting that a new deal has been reached with CF Billingham until January 2022, along with the reopening of Ensus Wilton :
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/agreement-reached-to-ensure-supplies-of-co2-to-businesses"CO2 suppliers have agreed to pay CF Fertilisers a price for the CO2 it produces that will enable it to continue operating while global gas prices remain high, drawing on support from industry and delivering value for money for the taxpayer."

So who knows what this actually means, sounds like there's some element of continuing support from the government, like them underwriting prices if they go over a ceiling of £x, but £x is a much higher price than previously.

"CO2 suppliers have agreed to pay CF Fertilisers a price for the CO2 it produces that will enable it to continue operating while global gas prices remain high, drawing on support from industry and delivering value for money for the taxpayer."

Surely the CO2 actually costs the same to produce as before, it's a byproduct so the cost is the collection, storage and distribution... It's the fertiliser that has got massively more expensive. Or are they CO2 producers and the byproduct is fertiliser?

Latest posts

Back