Has anyone else just had enough?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Altogether now: "Yes, we're all individuals!" 😁

Interesting question. As a random bloke on some forum - and with no qualifications at all - I'd say it's a combination of our conditioning and our need for reassurance by our peers. Conditioning because there isn't enough time for us to experiment on which berries are poisonous and which are safe to eat, whether we should vote Labour or Conservative. We look to people whom we trust, be it parents, friends, role models on TV, and allow them to influence or dictate, depending on how strongly we trust them. And reassurance because getting that +1 or that "like" affirms that we've won somebody's approval, a process we're then incentivised to repeat.

Sadly neither of those things are compatible with being overly analytical since that involves a departure from the herd, with the size of the departure being tied to society's tolerance for those that question. Every day I work with people who are adverse to open debate and other people who relish it. (I'm resisting the urge to introduce geo-political stereotypes here, but if you've worked with Americans and Scandinavians on the same team you know what I mean)

Suffice to say that it can make you feel isolated when you have arrived at a conclusion based on logical analysis and find yourself surrounded by a majority who have not only arrived at a different conclusion, but can't articulate their thought process and just get abusive instead. No wonder it's easier to just follow the herd.

Feckin' nightmare! You should meet my family ... 😇
Very good answer. Its sort of is why the bullion hop has been around since the late 30s and for most of the time only used for bittering mainly in dark beers but only recently been found to make very good pales when used as a flavour hop.

@simon12 that sounds awful, I hope you get the hand sorted ASAP and make a good recovery. Not that it helps you, but if somebody had jumped a red light and hit me on my motorbike I would be dead, and Tenerife reminds me of Lanzarote, which is where I was the first time I got Covid. I enclose a picture of the minibar from that trip, and if that doesn't cheer you up I'll post you some of my home-brew. What car did you get?

IMG_4684.JPG

Altogether now: "Yes, we're all individuals!" 😁

Interesting question. As a random bloke on some forum - and with no qualifications at all - I'd say it's a combination of our conditioning and our need for reassurance by our peers. Conditioning because there isn't enough time for us to experiment on which berries are poisonous and which are safe to eat, whether we should vote Labour or Conservative. We look to people whom we trust, be it parents, friends, role models on TV, and allow them to influence or dictate, depending on how strongly we trust them. And reassurance because getting that +1 or that "like" affirms that we've won somebody's approval, a process we're then incentivised to repeat.

Sadly neither of those things are compatible with being overly analytical since that involves a departure from the herd, with the size of the departure being tied to society's tolerance for those that question. Every day I work with people who are adverse to open debate and other people who relish it. (I'm resisting the urge to introduce geo-political stereotypes here, but if you've worked with Americans and Scandinavians on the same team you know what I mean)

Suffice to say that it can make you feel isolated when you have arrived at a conclusion based on logical analysis and find yourself surrounded by a majority who have not only arrived at a different conclusion, but can't articulate their thought process and just get abusive instead. No wonder it's easier to just follow the herd.

Feckin' nightmare! You should meet my family ... 😇
Muppix - you are not "some random bloke on a forum" but clearly an independent thinker - not willing to go along with the masses

I found your post inspirational

Just wish they would teach independent and critical thinking skills at schools but it's all about learning "facts" not critical analysis of them

Please keep up the thought provoking posts

@simon12 that sounds awful, I hope you get the hand sorted ASAP and make a good recovery. Not that it helps you, but if somebody had jumped a red light and hit me on my motorbike I would be dead, and Tenerife reminds me of Lanzarote, which is where I was the first time I got Covid. I enclose a picture of the minibar from that trip, and if that doesn't cheer you up I'll post you some of my home-brew. What car did you get?

View attachment 37161
Cheers. Tenerife is alot like Lanzarote a bit less wind on the tourist side due to the volcano blocking it, it did have some much nicer beaches with golden sand imported from the sahara but now its more like builders grade sand. You say when you 1st got covid have you had it again? I got a fiesta 1.0 Titanium ecoboost I started this thread about 2004 Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 130bhp Diesel vs 2016 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 123bhp petrol All offers of home brew welcome but please don't feel sorry for me I have had enough but many are much worse then me.

I have certainly had enough, I wasted lockdown 1 there was loads of stuff I should have got done but spent it drinking and getting depressed. Loved opening on July 4th and at least when I was working thinks felt back to normal for a while. Going in to lockdown 2 I was happy enough I could use the time getting all the stuff done I missed in 1. Then someone skips a red light and drives into me destroying my car and damaging my hand. I have since replaced the car but still can't put any weight on my hand or get anything done. Now in tier 3 so can't open cases are rising all over Kent so I will be lucky to be able to open by Easter but I do hope my hand will be useable before. I am lucky enough to have sort of inherited a flat in Tenerife which has just sold otherwise by Easter I would not be able to afford to open even Christmas with no restrictions would be cutting it fine.
****, man. I really hope things take a turn for the better.

Then the government burst into the lecture theatre, demanded that the professor hand over 50% of the balls, sand and whatever other s**t he'd managed to squeeze in, and on their way out they smashed the glass jar and reminded the prof that there's no point "cleaning the house" as it will soon be repossessed, dinner parties are illegal and golf balls are worthless because golf club has gone bankrupt.

The students were then told they were breaking social distancing laws and each fined £1000 before being sent home to complete their worthless Meteorology degree on Zoom.

To answer the OP, if it wasn't for having an elderly parent to think about, who would be homeless if I weren't here to pay her rent, then I'd be on the first bus to oblivion. When she's gone, I'm gone too. I had a good life until 2020.

In the meantime, it's just a question of "can I order or brew the beer faster than I can drink it"?
You ok chap? Sounds like pretty nihilistic thinking there.

Have you read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins @muppix?
I've read it and much of the rest of his ****. Dawkins is a fanatic just as much as the religious fanatics. His zeal in the pursuit of atheism is worthy of a jihadist or a crusader. His hatred for all things "supernatural" is palpable. While he may (or may not) be objectively right, he has complete contempt for the elements of "superstition" that make many people's worldview coherent. He singles out religion in his documentary "The Root of all Evil" as being, well- the root of all evil. He misses the point so spectacularly and provides a convenient smokescreen for the real roots. Establishment gammon. He should have been retired off decades ago.

See if you can guess whether I like the bloke or not. :laugh8:

I've read it and much of the rest of his ****. Dawkins is a fanatic just as much as the religious fanatics. His zeal in the pursuit of atheism is worthy of a jihadist or a crusader. His hatred for all things "supernatural" is palpable. While he may (or may not) be objectively right, he has complete contempt for the elements of "superstition" that make many people's worldview coherent. He singles out religion in his documentary "The Root of all Evil" as being, well- the root of all evil. He misses the point so spectacularly and provides a convenient smokescreen for the real roots. Establishment gammon. He should have been retired off decades ago.

See if you can guess whether I like the bloke or not. :laugh8:

hahha. Wow!
I was just about to say, he’s my dad.

ps not really

I know what you’re saying @An Ankoù . You can’t be in the middle on topics like religion it seems and he’s the other extreme.

All I was thinking was that his views on childhood religious indoctrination and the human need for reasurrance from parents and society persisting into adult life, felt like what @muppix was saying and he might like to take a look.

I *really* don’t want to kill this amazing thread with a religious / gammonist debate, please :) xxx

Last edited:
The Arabs developed one of the world's greatest civilisations. They produced the greatest doctors, philosophers and mathematicians of the day, building on the knowledge of the Greeks and Romans. They guarded the world's knowledge in great libraries during the Dark Ages. And then they got religion. Never achieved anything after that. All they have know is based on pawning their countries' oil to the West.

IMG_20201208_221507.jpg

For those interested in the chicken previously mentioned - this is her preferred sleeping position in the evenings. Something oddly therapeutic about an animal placing their full trust in you, especially as an ex-battery chicken she has bad experiences of previous human interactions. We watch train documentaries, brewing videos, and she even samples the beers I brew - brave chicken. A great stress reliever. She's now sitting by my feet purring like a cat, which chickens do when they are happy.

Have you read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins @muppix?

I think I tried to read it once but gave up on Dawkins. While I agree with his broader view I do feel that the way he tries to get his argument across is unnecessarily condescending and abrasive at times, which unfortunately tends to undermine the conversation and give credence to an opposition which scarcely deserves it.

All I was thinking was that his views on childhood religious indoctrination and the human need for reasurrance from parents and society persisting into adult life, felt like what @muppix was saying and he might like to take a look.

Hehe, that's probably where I got it from @chopps - must have been quite early in the book though. 😉

Back