Has anyone ever stripped the thread on a corny keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone ever stripped the thread on a corny keg?

• Total voters

Sadfield

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whilst removing, cleaning and reassembling the posts and dip tubes on a corny keg, as I've always done. It occurred to me that I've often read one should avoid doing this for fear of rendering the keg useless, but has this ever actually happened to anyone?

Edit: It didn't, hasn't happened, by the way. I'm just curious to see if it ever does.

Last edited:
And thats the reason I only strip for a deep clean every 5+ brews at the least athumb..

Whilst it would be a pain, you can pick up a used keg for about £40. I'd rather clean my equipment properly and avoid contamination. Pouring a keg of beer down the drain is a horrible experience.

I have a torque wrench with a socket that fits my keg that I really should use. Ill have to work out a decent torque amount first.

Whilst it would be a pain, you can pick up a used keg for about £40. I'd rather clean my equipment properly and avoid contamination. Pouring a keg of beer down the drain is a horrible experience.
Slightly prompted by posts about minor off flavours from not line cleaning often enough. I do wonder how much cleaning gets sidelined for fear of something that literally never happens.

Slightly prompted by posts about minor off flavours from not line cleaning often enough. I do wonder how much cleaning gets sidelined for fear of something that literally never happens.
Well after two infected brews within the last nine months, I don't take any chances any more. I strip and clean my equipment immediately after use. Nothing lasts forever. Equipment needs repaired or replaced sooner or later. And kegs are pretty sturdy, I have never heard of the thread being stripped off one.

I have just purchased the 23 litre AEB corny keg from TMM and immediately stripped down to its core components. No problem at all with removing keg posts.
WM7793

Back