Has anyone got a simple single hop (citra) recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcscruff

Reaction score
I am waiting for my chinook and citra to condition, i used pale malt and flaked oats. But on tasting (after fermentation) it tasted like hoppy water. I have left it to condition but think i need a little help with a basic pale recipe (5l batches for now). I still have chinook and citra hops but looking to do a single hop.

One thing I noticed after brewing my hoppy saison, tasting after fermentation and even the first carbonated bottle two weeks later, was that it tasted watery. However, moving them after carbonation for conditioning, and having some bottles even in the fridge, tasting one again two weeks later this wateryness had completely disappeared. It is now a fine tasting beer.

Was this from a kit, or do you have the recipe that you brewed?

Hoppy beers are something I like to drink, rather than brew (I'm a noob). However, they are my preferred style. The more grapefruit-y, the better. I used to visit a lot of craft breweries and pick up a 3-litre bottle of whatever they had that was hoppy, here and there. I spoke to the pros who made the stuff, and it was obvious it was a highly technical thing. But one major takeaway after a couple of years, which caused me to lose interest in craft ales, was that they didn't have to label the ingredients. They all made use of that fact. They could flavour a product however they wanted. I figured out that all they had to do was brew any kind of ale, and dry-hop it when it reached the desired ABV. Just felt like cheating. But that's one thing they all had in common. The Citra specials were all dry-hopped. All.

One thing I noticed after brewing my hoppy saison, tasting after fermentation and even the first carbonated bottle two weeks later, was that it tasted watery. However, moving them after carbonation for conditioning, and having some bottles even in the fridge, tasting one again two weeks later this wateryness had completely disappeared. It is now a fine tasting beer.

Was this from a kit, or do you have the recipe that you brewed?
This is what i did.

Attachments

• 20220710_193215.jpg
    20220710_193215.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
@mcscruff : that looks a nice basic recipe, but next time adjust the hopping to 12 grams Citra at 5 minutes, and 12 grams Citra at flame out, and possibly take time to add dry hop, again 12 grams of Citra. And the Chinook and the Citra at 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

@mcscruff : that looks a nice basic recipe, but next time adjust the hopping to 12 grams Citra at 5 minutes, and 12 grams Citra at flame out, and possibly take time to add dry hop, again 12 grams of Citra. And the Chinook and the Citra at 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes.
Thanks, i will give this a go

This style is my usual type of brew as I find I can make them commercial quality pretty easily. Something a bit like a Shipyard IPA and under 5%. I always like to go with a small dry hop for a hoppy pale ale. Not a huge dry hop but just like a gram per litre. With flameout hops but no dry hop you'll get a hoppy beer but kind of without the depth and chewyness and more like a golden ale. Apart from that the recipe seems in the right area.

Last edited:
so i tasted my recipe as above and its nasty, there is no bite to it and a nasty taste that was tangy with a strange smell (not pleasant). Also leaves a horrible after taste that i can't describe. Not sure what has caused this but there was no visible signs of infection.

Unfortunate.
Have you had a chance to work on your basic pale ale (I would say British style) first, so you are confident about your start point?
Looking for things like mouth feel & carbonation.
(You can change the amount of sugar in each pair of test bottles - remember to label them. Try one after conditioning & the other a couple of months on for comparison)

Most of my brews are based off my secret base recipe, and I adjust the hops & add crystal or chocolate malt if I want to go darker.

Based on your 1kg malt load, I would use
About 7g of bittering hops at the start of boil. Usually what needs using up & what's in stock. Typically Fuggles, Chinook, Magnum.

I might add another 7g of flavouring hops at 30 mins (Recently I've not bothered and increased the flameout hops but only a little.) I usually go with some combination of EKG, Fuggles, brambling cross & progress.

Finally I put 10g aroma hops in at flameout & leave a while.
I find these make the most difference. Usually ekg, brambling cross or Nelson sauvin.

This is what i did.

so i tasted my recipe as above and its nasty, there is no bite to it and a nasty taste that was tangy with a strange smell (not pleasant). Also leaves a horrible after taste that i can't describe. Not sure what has caused this but there was no visible signs of infection.
That is 100 IBU's and they are both hops that can be overpowering.

This is good advice, pretty much my approach now.
A lot of brewers don't bitter at 60mins
at all ( I usually do - my taste ! ) and prefer more IBU's from late boil additions, then flameout or hopstand

Latest posts

Back