Has anyone here ever tried brewing with pulses?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desi_Rable

Reaction score
As reflected in the title of this forum, when we think about and discuss beer brewing ingredients, we almost always focus upon using malted grains and hops as our base ingredients. I was just wondering though, after hearing about Širvenos beer from a Lithuanian acquaintance, and conducting some research into the field, including several varieties of Japanese low-malt and malt-free Happoshu, and a couple of craft breweries' experimentation with lentil and chickpea beers (along with taking into consideration the ongoing situation in Ukraine, and the sharp increase in barley and wheat malt prices over the past few months even before the knock-on effects of Russia's invasion's set to kick in), has anyone here ever tried adding pulses as an ingredient to their brews? If so, which ones, and what sort of results did you get? And if not, which pulses would you be most open to experimenting with incorporating in your brews?

You would struggle to brew without a pulse 😂😂
clapa
I've brewed with flaked rice a few times works well in Japanese lager.
Sounds interesting, and I find that I quite enjoy the clean taste that rice seems to lend to any lagers incorporating it among the ingredients. By 'pulses' though, I'm talking about legumes- beans, peas, lentils, that sort of thing. Ever consider giving any of those a try?

Yorkshire brewery, Mallinsons, brewed an American pale ale called Eye Pea Ay. Not sure if it had peas in it, but I liked the name.

I think I remember having had a beer that had, broadbeans(?) in it a homebrew club meeting once, but haven't used them myself, I think it was a historical recipe and not an uncommon ingredient in British brewing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back