Has Anyone Noticed that the beer in a keg seems to evaporate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set up a keg for drinking assuming that it will last me for a certain number of nights

But it never does

Is this perhaps evaporation or do I have a hole in the keg?

Or might there be another reason?

Any ideas/suggestions
Are you drinking pints or half litres when you pouring as you will get 33.4 pints from a 19l keg but less when you account for wastage.

You were sold a keg of a certain size, but they gave you a smaller one, perhaps.
Also, I do recall that there's an element of "shrinkage" in the licensed trade. Don't know if that runs over to homebrew, though.

I have the same problem with the mini kegs that I use. I know when I fill them that they take five litres but it seems to run out very quickly once tapped.

I set up a keg for drinking assuming that it will last me for a certain number of nights

But it never does

Is this perhaps evaporation or do I have a hole in the keg?

Or might there be another reason?

Any ideas/suggestions
a secret home brew drinker? (To the tune of a lemonade advert) or perhaps there is a Humphrey about........

How long does the beer keep in a keg roughly?

In my house not very long

I have, therefore, no experience on which to draw

However, providing your seals are not leaking I can't see why it wouldn't last as long as commercially bottled beer i.e. 12 - 18 months

Would be interested to hear other views from any one who is able to leave their beer alone for that long

a secret home brew drinker? (To the tune of a lemonade advert) or perhaps there is a Humphrey about........
Your reference to ads maybe dated your formative years

I imagine that you are younger than I

"We used to have to lick road clean before breakfast"

Back