Has anyone used the 'Perfect Draft' system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
My Son In Law started working in a brewery (lucky lad), and he brought me home a couple of kegs of beer (lucky father in law).
Anyhow, it transpires that these kegs are from the Philps 'Perfect Draft' System, which I don't own.
And to be honest at £250, I've no intention of owning.

He brought me a pipe affair that clips in to the PD machine, and using such I can extract a beer.
So for the time being, I don't require the machine.
OK, so it's not a fancy chrome tap thing, but who cares, beer is beer right ???

For those who are not familiar, the beer is in a foil bag, inside an aluminium keg.
The aluminium Keg is filled with compressed air, which squeezes the bag and pushes out the beer.

So my question for anyone who is familiar, is there enough air inside the keg to extract all the beer, or does the PD machine have a compressor of sorts to keep the keg pressurised.

Whats the likelyhood that I'll only get half the beer out and then it drive me insane figuring out how to get the rest out.

Thanks

My daughter bought her husband a perfect draft system for Christmas and I had beers from it when we were visiting and was really impressed.

Don't know the answer to your question, but if I wasn't more into drinking my own beers I would have a PD. The selection of beers is amazing.

I've already figured that I could use a car schrader valve connected to a bicycle pump.
The schrader valve mushroom rubber end should make a strong enough seal to pump some air in if needed.
I'll let you know if and when.

My Son In Law started working in a brewery (lucky lad), and he brought me home a couple of kegs of beer (lucky father in law).
Anyhow, it transpires that these kegs are from the Philps 'Perfect Draft' System, which I don't own.
And to be honest at £250, I've no intention of owning.

He brought me a pipe affair that clips in to the PD machine, and using such I can extract a beer.
So for the time being, I don't require the machine.
OK, so it's not a fancy chrome tap thing, but who cares, beer is beer right ???

For those who are not familiar, the beer is in a foil bag, inside an aluminium keg.
The aluminium Keg is filled with compressed air, which squeezes the bag and pushes out the beer.

So my question for anyone who is familiar, is there enough air inside the keg to extract all the beer, or does the PD machine have a compressor of sorts to keep the keg pressurised.

Whats the likelyhood that I'll only get half the beer out and then it drive me insane figuring out how to get the rest out.

Thanks
A picture would help, Keg King has a bladder set up in a keg where you put your carbed beer in a bladder and an air pump connected to the gas post increases the pressure on the bladder and forces the beer out. Saves having to use gas. If bicycle pump could be rigged up then you could just pump the air in.

Last edited:
The easiest way to get a tap unit, ca. £30, connect the air or co2, whatever you have.
Otherwise it's very expensive, I've spent over 2 grand on kegs per year when I had it, and it was before the keg prices went crazy.
The cooling unit not very sophisticated, doesn't worth too much.

I've seen the tap, however, I've no idea how long this source of free beer will last, so I'm reluctant to spend £35 at this stage. These may be the only two kegs I receive. (although apparently, there could be two more today) :cool:

So I pulled about a pint and half last night, when the pressure went, meaning I couldn't extract any more beer.

A small piece of pvc pipe (the type you'd use on a fish tank air pump), pushed in to the end of my bike pump, allowed me to get a few pumps of air in.
It's fiddly, and I can only really get enough air in to get a glass out, but it works, I'm happy, I get free beer.

I'm not familiar with this device but from reading the above you're pumping air in to shift the beer?

Air and beer don't mix well and the beer will go off, you'd better drink it quick. That's why we use CO2 to keep beer fresh in kegs and bottles.

I'm not familiar with this device but from reading the above you're pumping air in to shift the beer?

Air and beer don't mix well and the beer will go off, you'd better drink it quick. That's why we use CO2 to keep beer fresh in kegs and bottles.

The beer is in a bladder, the air pressures the keg around the bladder so no air gets into the beer

My piece of pvc tube idea works but it only allows air based on pressure pushing against the valve.
I found that a piece of stiff material in the end (a nail), allows the pvc tube to push down on the valve, and now I can get some substantial pressure behind it. Who needs an expensive setup.

Attachments

• 20220323_182517.jpg
    20220323_182517.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 28
The pvc tube worked in a fashion, but I felt as if I could do better.
The tip of a biro pen, with a small rubber o ring to seal and now I can really get some pressure behind it.
The pvc pipe was too flexible, a bit hit and miss.
The biro is sturdy and works every time.

Two more IPAs and what looks like a wheat beer heading my way. 😁

Attachments

• IMG-20220329-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220329-WA0000.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back