Has fermentation finished??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just based on hydrometer readings - OG 1077, 996 after fermentation.

I have found getting an accurate starting gravity can be a bit hit and miss I would be very surprised if the kit %ABV was supposed to be 11 in fact I have never seen a kit mentioned on the forum in over 7 years that has such a low ABV.

Its a wineworks merlot kit from Love Brewing. Maybe I'll judge its strength by its effect rather than gravity!

Couple of things can give a lower reading at OG stage, overdilution just a couple of extra litres of water and the value falls, second thing is stratification, the heavy sugar ( grape juice ) doesn't mix fully and sits at the bottom with more dilute above. Your low OG reading is atypical if you have good mix and accurate volume.

I think it was well mixed - took one reading, mixed again, took another - both the same. Also I only made up to 22litres. The kit only has 5 litres of juice - don't know if that makes a difference,

The kits I've done have 8 litres of juice for that volume. Difficult to know what's in that 5 litres though, if it's just grape concentrate or some sugar as well.
But if you feel it was well mixed then that gravity was the OG.
The proof is in the drinking and time will tell, if it tastes thin then either less volume next time or a change of kit.

Latest posts

Back