Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going for it on Saturday. Bit of an experimental 10L biab. Been desperate to get it going but haven't had a clear 4-5 hours on a weekend which I reckon I'm going to need. Doing the cascade / centennial I mentioned earlier on this thread. Can't wait!

I've brewed one up two days ago, after a chance discovery of a shop selling malt and hops near Kings Cross. I used a steamer as a mash tun, it only lost 1 degree in heat wrapped up in a towel, and then an old preserving pan to boil up the wort. Very rewarding, I could improve on my straining as it's quite a murky brew so far but I'm sure it'll settle down. How long do you reckon for fermentation? My OG was 1050, and I used wilkos ale yeast.

Leave for two weeks - let the yeast do everything it wants to do, and it will clear more before you bottle it. If you can put it in the fridge for a day or two after the two weeks that will help it clear too. Or somewhere colder at least.

So who has done this and what are the results like so far?!

Me :-D I doubled up and did a 10L batch, but ended up with a stuck brew, documented (with recipe) earlier in the thread :-( Kinda got it going again a bit, it's ended up at 1018, so reckon it's around 3.6% ABV as I added a bit of extra sugar to get it going again.

Just transferred to a secondary prior to bottling and had a crafty taste, it's bloomin lovely, good mix of Fuggles and Goldings hops. Well pleased, even with the stuck brew. Thanks for the inspiration, going to do another over Easter. :cheers:

I did a kilo of Maris otter with galaxy 5g boil and 10 g at flame out. It worked pretty well but I didn't strain out hops so they went into the demijohn. It's very very hoppy.

Have done two other brews since then and now do second hop addition with ten minutes to go and strain them.

Galaxy is a full on, high alpha hop so leaving it in will have consequences. It should calm down if you leave it alone for a few weeks. Good to experiment with the amount of hops and the amount of time in the boil.

Yes, it's definitely going to have to wait a while for me to drink it. As I said, I've learned form it already. I love experimenting and improving processes as I go along. The hop flavour and aroma is huge at the moment.

Well, I have been convinced to step into the world of AG brewing. Having read through this post it looks easier than I had expected.

Just put in my order for a 17 litre stock pot. I found a deal with Brewstore

http://www.brewstore.co.uk//mash-beer-brewers-bargain-brew-pack-2321-p.asp

for a Mash Beer Brewers Bargain Pack:

4 Kg of grain, I went for 3kg of pale malt and 1kg of crystal malt
100g of Belma hops, and Muntons Gold yeast all for the sum of £11.74. Enough to make a few batches.

Hoping to get it going early next next week, I will report back with the results.

Daz

Where's that? I'm london based too. I usually get my ingredients from Brixton which is only 20min bike ride away from me but it would be good to know of a second source.

They are called Bottledog, 69 Grays Inn Road. Primarily a craft beer off licence, but they now sell malts, hops and yeasts, and a few home-brew essentials. Here's a snap I took of their range.
File 25-03-2015 15 01 30.jpg

Those hop prices look hideously expensive. Think I'll stick to buying my ingredients from Brixton - Thanks anyway.

Getting not one but two real artisan craft ale cafe bar pubs* in Peckham soon. One called the Hope named after a horrible old mans pub which is now closed down ( the missus an myself used to call it the Hopeless) and one - if you can believe the name - called John the Unicorn.

* that's not me be a snob about ale, that's essentially what it says on the website - "The Hope will be a café/bar in style and a traditional pub in approach." -eh? The all things to all men approach?

Please excuse my ignorance but I have punched your recipe into Brewmate as an experiment for a 7.5ltr brew.What is "Total Mash Volume"is that the volume of water and grain which could determine the size of pot required?As I say I am just playing with the software in an effort to understand the terminology / processes etc

Im hoping this will fit in my 12ltr pot!!!!

Thanks Clibit

Please excuse my ignorance but I have punched your recipe into Brewmate as an experiment for a 7.5ltr brew.What is "Total Mash Volume"is that the volume of water and grain which could determine the size of pot required?As I say I am just playing with the software in an effort to understand the terminology / processes etc

Im hoping this will fit in my 12ltr pot!!!!

Yes Total Mash Volume is the space taken up by grain and water. Not got Brewmate here at work (!), but I think it over-estimates it, from memory.

You can easily make a 7.5 litre brew in a 12 litre pot.

Cheers for the link for the Brewstore. Just have to wait till payday and I'm giving BIAB ago. I'm thinking light malt,some crystal and maybe some choc for colour. :-) just trying to work out which hop to go for.

Brew day tomorrow folks. Early start, 7am, hoping to have everything done and cleaned by midday so I can spend afternoon with wife and kids and not incur too much wrath.
I'll report back on the brew days board. It's either going to be epic, or a disaster. Watch this space.

Latest posts

Back