Have a go at simple AG

Discussion in 'Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides' started by clibit, Feb 16, 2015.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 25, 2018 #1441

Underbrew

Underbrew

Underbrew

Amazing, thanks. I'll be giving it a try today.

2. Sep 28, 2018 #1442

dleary

dleary

dleary

didn't know Mosaic was fashionable just picked it by chance after reading a description of the flavour it gives, anyway looking forward to my next all-grain brew!

Slid likes this.
  3. Sep 28, 2018 #1443

Martybhoy1980

Martybhoy1980

Martybhoy1980

Member Supporting Member

Mosaic is a great hop. I really like it

4. Sep 28, 2018 #1444

Yellow Ox

Yellow Ox

Yellow Ox

Do you use a standard 23 litre (actually 30 litre) fermenter with 11.5 litres or a smaller one please?

5. Sep 29, 2018 #1445

Underbrew

Underbrew

Underbrew

I've did 10 litres on Tuesday and stuxk in in a 23 litre fermenter so I'll let you know how that goes.

Just out of interest what sort of SG should you expect from a 10 litre batch using 2kg of MO? Mine came out at about 1042, seems a tad low, I know it depends on a lot of factors just interested to know how far off the mark I am this time!

6. Sep 29, 2018 #1446

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Regular.

Using the calculator on this site it looks like you got 66% brewhouse efficiency which isn't too shabby for first go. At 75% (most recipes seem to be based on this) brewhouse efficiency you'd have got 1.048

7. Sep 29, 2018 #1447

darrellm

darrellm

darrellm

Regular. Supporting Member

Even after a few years of BIAB AG I'm still only getting 68%.

People worry about efficiency too much: grain is cheap, so long as you get consistency each time then the cost of extra grain for a lower efficiency is minimal.

8. Sep 29, 2018 #1448

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

No I bought a 15 litre FV. Don't often use it for beer anymore, other than the B&M kits, but it still comes in useful when I am making wine.

9. Sep 29, 2018 #1449

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored Moderator

I've noticed a lot of UK recipes are based on 72% and lots of American recipes even lower at 65%/66%.

10. Oct 8, 2018 #1450

Baggins

Baggins

Baggins

Just wanted to note that I too have been inspired by this thread and brewed my first all grain yesterday. Many thanks to clibit for starting the thread and everyone else that has joined in with great comments, questions and advice. I got OG of 1040 which I think is the target for the Dry Stout kit I bought. I haven't got to grips with mash efficiency yet and just hoping I finish at 1010 and it tastes good. I see I could have saved by buying the ingredients separately but it got me started so no complaints.

11. Oct 9, 2018 #1451

BigFran

BigFran

BigFran

This is the original post that got me into AG brewing.
    I would like to thank Clibit for making the process so easy to follow.
    Thanks
    F

12. Oct 9, 2018 #1452

ryderkellan

ryderkellan

ryderkellan

Thanks for a great post. First ag batch maturing and first taste superb...

13. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:48 PM #1453

matt76

matt76

matt76

Hey there!

Having just bottled my first kit brew I'm planning to dive straight into AG - my plan is to x3 this recipe, so 3kg Maris Otter, end up with 15L in the FV etc etc

This is all driven mainly by having a larger FV - my kit brew was 5USGal so about 19L. I fear a 5 or 10L brew would get lost in there! Also, first brew yielded only ~13-14L at bottling due mainly to dregs etc (possibly some user error too!). So I can't really afford to lose 5L out of a 5 or 10L brew!

But now I'm thinking of the practicalities of heating this volume of wort to boiling on a regular gas hob - first brew required me to boil 2.5USGal water (9.5L) but the hob seemed to struggle to get it those last few degrees up to boiling point. Pure water can be pre-heated 2L at a time in the electric kettle, but can't really do this with wort!

How much can I play around with the water volumes in this recipe? I think 9L water for the mash is doable, but could I get away with much less water for steeping/lautering/sparging(???) at 80degC and top up later with cool water in the FV?

Alternatively, once the mash is done could I just bring this up to 80degC and steep it from there? Then get the grain out, proceed with boiling the wort and adding hops as required. Finally top up with cool water to help cool the wort quickly and keep an eye on the gravity as I do so. Would this work or am I missing something elementary?

Other Options:
    1. Go buy a smaller FV and do a 5 or 10L brew
    2. Stick with current FV and do a 10L brew
    3. Suck it up and take on the laws of thermodynamics with my original planned 15L brew (I'll have to science the s*** out of it! ;-) )

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Matt

14. Oct 18, 2018 at 5:28 AM #1454

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

What is the size of your largest pot? To get 15L in your FV, you will need at least a 19L pot. Alternatively you could split between two pots, which should get over the limitations of your hob. Most of the stove top brews I did were 11-12L, done in a 15L stock pot. You need to maintain a vigourous rolling boil in an uncovered pot to drive off all the nasties.