Have a go at simple AG

Discussion in 'Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides' started by clibit, Feb 16, 2015.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. May 26, 2019 #1541

TL4244

TL4244

TL4244

I followed the suggested method at the start of this thread and made 2 batches (although I used cascade hops on 1 batch) and a week in the fermentation seems to have finished and (considering it is at room temperature and just out of the FV) the results taste good (when taking an SG reading are you supposed to put the sample back, throw it away or is drinking it considered acceptable?). It is certainly far better that the 2 kits I have attempted (and not been pleased with the results - muntons premium larger which is far too dark for a larger).

I was thinking of trying the see what different the various malts make, is it OK to boil 2 batches 1 with just base malt and another with say crystal malt and then mix in different proportions to get several different compositions to then ferment and try, it would be a lot less work than trying to boil several batches?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. May 26, 2019 #1542

the_quick

the_quick

the_quick

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Chuck the sample, as you are risking an infection.
    I would leave it in fermentor for 2 weeks at least. It allows for beer to clear. If you have second bucket, transfer to it for packaging, leaving behind all the trub. I haven't used one at the beginning, but now use it for every beer - makes a huge difference.

You always need most of base malts - those would be your pale malt, pale marris otter, pilsner malts etc. Crystal, caramel, chocolate, roasted and so one are addition malts, for coloring and give sweeter taste to some beers.
    On brewers friend you can search for lots of recipes for free, it is great resource

3. May 27, 2019 #1543

TL4244

TL4244

TL4244

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

I have seen a vast array of recipes, but I do not know what the different malts taste like and hence I can not work out which to try, I know I could try some and see how they work out, but as I (will soon) have the ability to boil a 20l batch and a 5l batch (finished volumes) at the same time I was contemplating making a 20l batch with just 4kg of pale malt (+ hops) and a 5l batch with 750g pale malt and 250g crystal malt then mixing in different quantities to get different blends of pale and crystal malt e.g. 5 different batches each of 5l that would have from 0g to 100g of crystal malt, I could then find out what the different concentrations taste like (and then try it with different malts). Is is possible to mix worts like this post boil?

Thanks

4. May 27, 2019 #1544

JohnB

JohnB

JohnB

@TL4244 Hi, I find the joy of home brewing is to experiment, and what you are suggesting is a good idea. I like your idea of making test batches from one main brew. Perhaps you might like to Google the word parti-gyle it is a term used by the big brewhouses to get two or more beers from one large batch of base wort by adding varying adjuncts after the base wort has been divided up.

There are a couple of vids on youtube describing and showing a howto parti-gyle in small batches. Well worth a look and a good starting point for what you are proposing. In one vid the guys at "basic brewing", James Spencer and Steve Wilkes do an excellent job of teaching the basics of parti-gyle, making 3 different beers from one batch of wort.

TL4244 likes this.
  5. May 28, 2019 #1545

TL4244

TL4244

TL4244

@JohnB Thank you for the info - I have had a look at the videos and they provide some good information. I will give it a go and see how it turns out.

6. May 31, 2019 #1546

Markk

Markk

Markk

I think have all the equipment I need to give the brew in the OP a go except a thermometer and straining bag so I'm really tempted to pick these up and give this a go when my FV is free. One small point, the OP is so old I am finding it impossible to find a KG of Maris Otter anywhwere for a pound fifty now! :)

7. May 31, 2019 #1547

dleary

dleary

dleary

Markk likes this.
  8. Jun 1, 2019 #1548

Markk

Markk

Markk

dleary likes this.