Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thank you. I've got a 19l main pot and a small maybe just unddoing with your 19L pot? The 5L brewlength

Are you planning to make 5L in your 19L pot? If you are you'll get a really big boil off rate because of the large surface area. So either you'll need to keep a close eye on the boil and keep topping it up or use a smaller pot

Gave this a go as my 1st ever homebrew attempt.

I've just bottled what the recipe said. Although I also threw caution to the wind and budged 4 days of random dry hopping.

Was surprised and a disappointed by the amount of waste I got from trub and general **** at the bottom of the fv. 10l turned out to bottle 8l.

Beer now cloudy and didnt taste amazing. Should probably have left alone.

Took a litre off before the dry hop to compare. (Spot the difference in the photo).

Will condition for a good few weeks see what comes of it.

Attachments

• 20200516_135017.jpg
    20200516_135017.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 178
Something to think about. I have only done 3 kits and quite enjoying it (especially after trying the one i bottled week ago) . But if I did a 5 or 10l batch could I use my 23l bucket. Or could I use demijohns and transfer it to the bucket a few days before bottling as I like the tap and beer wand and never siphoned. Also I dont have a 10l pan but I have two 5l pans. So i was thinking to make 2 at the same time and add them together, has anyone done this or know why I shouldn't.

Something to think about. I have only done 3 kits and quite enjoying it (especially after trying the one i bottled week ago) . But if I did a 5 or 10l batch could I use my 23l bucket. Or could I use demijohns and transfer it to the bucket a few days before bottling as I like the tap and beer wand and never siphoned. Also I dont have a 10l pan but I have two 5l pans. So i was thinking to make 2 at the same time and add them together, has anyone done this or know why I shouldn't.

A five gallon bucket and lid at one of the big hardware stores is pretty cheap. Drill a hole in the lid, drill a hole in the bucket for a valve, you're good to go.

Most of what I brew is eight to twelve liters. I've got a few five gallon buckets.

So, what did you make? The recipe suggested? Any changes?
Greg Hughes English IPA. Did half quantity of the recipe and no real changes. Just followed the recipe for this first go. Planning on his Bitter next and then a porter.

Like many others, this was the thread that convinced me AG was possible without an initial outlay for a lot of large, expensive kit and a new house to put it in.

3 brews in, I've jumped from 5L to 10L but I've started to worry about the process and specifically if my method is oxidising the wort. I mash in a blanked wrapped stockpot then pour that into a clean FV. I heat more water, dunk the bag of grain in there to 'sparge' then pour that second batch of wort into the FV. I then upend all 14L or so back into the stockpot for the boil.

Is all the squeezing, pouring, splashing of hot wort going to oxidise the beer? Are the 40 bottles currently conditioning doomed to life of shandy for Mrs Norm?

Should I just mash at full water volume (do I need more grain to get same efficiency?)?

Should I siphon everything gently rather than pour it (and do I need a special siphon for hot liquids)?

Or should I stop reading threads about hot side aeration, have a beer and chill out?

Like many others, this was the thread that convinced me AG was possible without an initial outlay for a lot of large, expensive kit and a new house to put it in.

3 brews in, I've jumped from 5L to 10L but I've started to worry about the process and specifically if my method is oxidising the wort. I mash in a blanked wrapped stockpot then pour that into a clean FV. I heat more water, dunk the bag of grain in there to 'sparge' then pour that second batch of wort into the FV. I then upend all 14L or so back into the stockpot for the boil.

Is all the squeezing, pouring, splashing of hot wort going to oxidise the beer? Are the 40 bottles currently conditioning doomed to life of shandy for Mrs Norm?

Should I just mash at full water volume (do I need more grain to get same efficiency?)?

Should I siphon everything gently rather than pour it (and do I need a special siphon for hot liquids)?

Or should I stop reading threads about hot side aeration, have a beer and chill out?
You are over thinking the process and giving yourself anxieties by reading this. Leave your wort in the pot and dunk sparge in the FV whilst bringing your pot to the boil. Just relax and enjoy your hobby..

Norm - what you are doing is fine and is the one I followed when I first started doing AG. Lots of beer has and is made like this on a stove top. Chill and get a beer (might leave that for a while yet as it's not 9am yet).

You are over thinking the process and giving yourself anxieties by reading this. Leave your wort in the pot and dunk sparge in the FV whilst bringing your pot to the boil. Just relax and enjoy your hobby..
Thanks Gerryjo. That makes a lot of sense. Should reduce the movement of wort quite a bit and save time too. A win win.

Norm - what you are doing is fine and is the one I followed when I first started doing AG. Lots of beer has and is made like this on a stove top. Chill and get a beer (might leave that for a while yet as it's not 9am yet).
Ha! Yes, a bit early maybe! Thanks for reassurance.

I've been wanting to do an all grain brew for years but never had the confidence (I've always been a wine brewer, I do brew ale kits from time to time but never from scratch so far) but this recipe seems to be almost too good to be true!

I'm going to order the stuff over the next few days and give this a go next week, hopefully it will work out.

I've been wanting to do an all grain brew for years but never had the confidence (I've always been a wine brewer, I do brew ale kits from time to time but never from scratch so far) but this recipe seems to be almost too good to be true!

I'm going to order the stuff over the next few days and give this a go next week, hopefully it will work out.

This thread has got many a brewer into AG athumb..

Back