Have a go at simple AG

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm going to start making 10 litre Smash brews to understand the flavours of a few different hops. But I only have 25 litre FVs. Is the large headroom going to be a problem? Thanks
Hi @Alderneybrew - good question! If you're doing normal bitter (not massively over-hopped or whatever) then you'll be be fine with fermenting a 10 litre brew in a 25L FV though athumb..

Reaction score
Excellent news!
I'm kind of exploring to find what I like in the way of more "traditional" ales, if that makes sense.
Commercial brews are very limited here, Carling & John Smith's ashock1
I know I like Belgian beers and American IPA style but want to educate my tastebuds to appreciate more.
Seems like a good excuse to me anyway!

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm going to start making 10 litre Smash brews to understand the flavours of a few different hops. But I only have 25 litre FVs. Is the large headroom going to be a problem? Thanks
I have a 13l fermentation bucket (labelled up to 13l but probably takes 15l) which is great for smaller brews, and fits snugly into my small undercounter temperature controlled fridge (brew fridge). 👍. I got this from my local homebrew shop for around £6 I think.

Reaction score
I have a 13l fermentation bucket (labelled up to 13l but probably takes 15l) which is great for smaller brews, and fits snugly into my small undercounter temperature controlled fridge (brew fridge). 👍. I got this from my local homebrew shop for around £6 I think.
I'll have to wait until my next bulk order from the UK to get a couple added. Might be a while though.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Reaction score
I'll have to wait until my next bulk order from the UK to get a couple added. Might be a while though.
If you have a bakery or sandwich outlet near you call in and ask about any spare mayonnaise,icing or anything large food safe tubs which are usually around 10l which they end up dumping but are good for Brewing.

clib

Regular.
Reaction score
If you have a bakery or sandwich outlet near you call in and ask about any spare mayonnaise,icing or anything large food safe tubs which are usually around 10l which they end up dumping but are good for Brewing.
Indeed, until recently I had used a few 10L mayo/yoghurt buckets from local take-aways. I bought 5 new 10L buckets online for about 3 quid each a few months ago. I sometimes make 20 to 30 litre partial mash batches now (10-15L AG batch plus malt extract plus water) and split them into 3 or 4 buckets, use different yeasts and dry hops/hop teas.

Reaction score
Indeed, until recently I had used a few 10L mayo/yoghurt buckets from local take-aways. I bought 5 new 10L buckets online for about 3 quid each a few months ago. I sometimes make 20 to 30 litre partial mash batches now (10-15L AG batch plus malt extract plus water) and split them into 3 or 4 buckets, use different yeasts and dry hops/hop teas.
Just found them on Amazon, £15.35 for 5, so ordered them.
Sounds like a great way to accelerate my learning of hops & yeast, doing as you said Clib.

Is it a common affliction amongst brewers to get all twitchy if there isn't at least one brew on the go? 😂

clib

Regular.
Reaction score
Just found them on Amazon, £15.35 for 5, so ordered them.
Sounds like a great way to accelerate my learning of hops & yeast, doing as you said Clib.

Is it a common affliction amongst brewers to get all twitchy if there isn't at least one brew on the go? 😂
Very common. And there's no known cure.

Justin9

Reaction score
20210822_150357.jpg

So this is my first attempt, got 7 bottles far too clumsy and lost some. Honest feedback is most welcome 👍😬

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
I would fill the bottles a little more next time. As full as the one on the left, say.

Justin9

Reaction score
Ah ok thanks, was worried about over filling and having bottles bombs.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Any online brewing videos you recommend for extract and all grain?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like the David Heath videos. Have done many of his recipes and they all seem to come out well!
Thank you,I've been doing all in one kits. I'll check them out,I've an extract kit,plus a biab kit +peco boiler set up on the way from Get er brewed. And an all grain blonde ale kit with it. Slightly nervous about doing it.