Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, I never actually used my voltage controller for the boil, I used to pull the plug for my boiler and plug it in directly when it came time to boil. 1x2.5kw element just didn't need power control in a 33 litre stockpot I found. I used it when mashing though, combined with my PID, to maintain temperature during the mash without any scorching. For this it worked a treat, as you just don't need 2.5kw for a mash, and it was better than pulsing the heat on and off I found. Can't say I noticed much heat from it in this usage scenario, but then I had my SSR heatsink mounted outside of my controller box, so that wasn't adding heat to the internals as well.

My box had the normal fuse in the plug for it (13 amp) then it had a low amp internal one protecting the PID, and a higher amp internal fuse protecting the circuit to the element. Safety first and all that. lol

It's retired now and put away.

No, I wouldn't recommend that. If you really don't have the equipment, then I'd suggest to do two batches into the same FV - it'll be easier than you might imagine, because you won't need to wash everything up in between :-)

Why not? Isn’t that pretty much what a partial mash brew is?

Good posts about ag brewing there Clibit, I'm very tempted to try it myself after reading this thread.
A question though: Is it better to bypass the 15l pot and maybe go for an urn type water heater? in case larger (23L) batches are required? I've seen some for about £55 online.
Also any idea how long the vac sealed packs of hops last? I've had some in my garage for 2 or 3 years now....... wondering if they are still ok to use.........

Good posts about ag brewing there Clibit, I'm very tempted to try it myself after reading this thread.
A question though: Is it better to bypass the 15l pot and maybe go for an urn type water heater? in case larger (23L) batches are required? I've seen some for about £55 online.
Also any idea how long the vac sealed packs of hops last? I've had some in my garage for 2 or 3 years now....... wondering if they are still ok to use.........
Buying pots is your call. When I wrote the op I was trying to get people to try a small batch using stuff they have. Like a big pan. Try before you buy.

Hops should be cold stored. Mine are in the freezer. I doubt yours will be in good condition now, but I'm not sure. Look at them, sniff them.

I'm sure they'd still 'work', but given the cheap price of hops and all the effort that goes into the rest of the brewing I'd say you'd be at risk of "spoiling the ship for a ha'peth o' tar" IYKWIM.
Personally I try to use mine within 12mths max, and that's keeping them in the fridge

I am drinking a beer made with 2012 Crystal hops, and it's great. I had the unopened packet in the freezer since 2013!!! 😃

Hi all

Hopefully having a go at the 10l version of this tomorrow.

I've got my plan wrote down ish and a clear day ahead

I was going to just go maris otter and citra but have laid my hands on the following

Amarillo
Galaxy
Cascade

Plus

Light crystal malt
Amber malt

Is it worth pimping my beer?

Hi all

I was going to just go maris otter and citra but have laid my hands on the following

Amarillo
Galaxy
Cascade

Plus

Light crystal malt
Amber malt

Citra and Amarillo are a good combination, but if you just use Citra you'll know what it tastes like and it's good. You could add 50/60g of light crystal.

Citra and Amarillo are a good combination, but if you just use Citra you'll know what it tastes like and it's good. You could add 50/60g of light crystal.
Thanks for that. Would I adjust the amount of maris otter or just add the light crystal.

May just stick to the citra and ad some Amarillo next time

Cheers

Won't make much difference.

Cheers

Since I have the oracle at hand do I just follow your instructions even though I'm using a brew bag and alter it a bit as in lift bag from one pot to the other etc

Hope that makes sense🤣

Cheers

Since I have the oracle at hand do I just follow your instructions even though I'm using a brew bag and alter it a bit as in lift bag from one pot to the other etc

Hope that makes sense🤣
A bag shouldn't change anything. Why do you want to move it between two pots? To sparge in the second?

Hi all

Amarillo
Galaxy
Cascade

Plus

Light crystal malt
Amber malt

I am drinking a Citra SMaSH at the moment and though nice with MO I do find it slightly sweet and one dimensional though will make it again with maybe cascade and Amarillo thrown in...

I am drinking a Citra SMaSH at the moment and though nice with MO I do find it slightly sweet and one dimensional though will make it again with maybe cascade and Amarillo thrown in...
Sweetness is probably just a shortage of bittering hops I'd imagine. Crystal will add sweetness. Yeast choice makes a difference too.

First brew done. Little messy in places but about 8 or 9 litres in the fv. Og measured 1.048

Look lovely and tasted not too bad/horrendous

Leaving it for two weeks and I'll report back

Thanks for the thread/help guys

Attachments

• 20210715_103122.jpg
    20210715_103122.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 59
Back