Have I just made a terrible mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to help you and these are only approximates if your wort is at 1.010 which it looks like it will be close then adding 1.5kilo of sugar will give you about a 4% beer if you add 1.5kilo of DME it will be slightly less that is assuming that the beer finishes at 1.010.
I am sure somebody will help further by giving more accurate results but is a guideline for you to rescue the beer.
Ps if you do add to it make sure everything is dissolved in some hot water before adding it to the wort or you may get clumps that do not ferment out fully

Last edited:
If you've the time and can get some crushed base malt quickly, you could use it as mash and sparge water. Then give it a shorter boil without hops.

It'd be mash and sparge practice at the least.

If you add just sugar, then you'll get a very thin tasting beer (little malt flavour). If you add Malt extract then you'll get the malt (beer) flavour. Either way, this is salvageable by adding (boiled) malt extract if you have any to hand or can get it quickly. You will have some flavour in there from the whole malt though.

I agree with all the above and that is why I gave the options of sugar/DME. It would be much better to use DME but that probably would be £15+ so maybe 1kilo of DME and 0.5Kilo of sugar would be a good compromise without throwing too much at it that is if the OP wants to try and rescue it.
It could be disappointing for a new AG-er so maybe put it down to experience and dump it, always a hard choice to make:?:

Not wanting to **** on the waste not want not party, but brewing that up with sugar will taste rancid.
CHUCK IT OUT.
Mate I’ll give you some grain and hops rather than think about you drinking DME mixed with water rinsed through a bit of barley husk. DM me.

CHUCK IT OUT.
Mate I’ll give you some grain and hops rather than think about you drinking DME mixed with water rinsed through a bit of barley husk. DM me.
You are one of my favourite people. That is so nice.

And thank you again for helping me out with those demi-johns when I couldn't afford sh!t.

Fascinating thread, I’m a noob and just put my first coopers lager kit into cold storage for some weeks while a new batch of West Coast IPA finishes its 2 week ferment. Still working LME kits for a few more recipes then getting into mash once I have some idea what to do! This forum is amazing and I enjoy your contributions every day 🙏

Latest posts

Back