Have I lost my IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbangoose

Reaction score
Bottled my chinook IPA two weeks ago, seemed a tad cloudy at the time, but expected to clear in bottle - just tried my first one, not much fiz and still looking like dishwater. Will it age? Or are my 30 bottles lost?

It will age every day:doh:When you bottled where did you store it for 2 weeks? Also, how much priming sugar did you use? What size bottles?

Bottled in 330ml, kept in garage which is cool, added 25g sugar per gallon

There's your answer, a cool environment will make the yeast dormant, they've gone to sleep, not converting the priming sugar, hence no fizz. Store it somewhere warm for a week, get the yeast back to work, then try one. Once happy with the carb, you can then store in a cool place which will condition & clear the beer. 25g per gallon is perfect for an IPA, that'll give you around 2.3vols/CO2. athumb..

Thanks for this ... sweating over thought of all that effort going to waste!
We've all been there dude, what strength is your IPA?. Personally, I prefer murky beer, why people throw all this clearing **** at it is beyond me. Fining removes flavour in my opinion. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Dull Boy - have another IPA based on BD Challenger ... not bottled yet, but also doesn’t seem to have cleared very well. Fermented well at 20deg for 2 weeks, then moved to garage, now nearing 3rd ... was looking to bottle over when’d and hope it would clear ... any thoughts? Never really had this problem

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 83
That's why it won't clear, Protofloc removes proteins from the wort as it cools. You add it to the boil during the last 15min. It's cheap as chips & very effective. Your beer may not look good but if it taste good, who cares. Also, adding large amounts of wheat & oats to beer will produce murk, which is intentional & just how I like them;). https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/protafloc-tablets-irish-moss-x10/

Last edited:
You could crash cool the beer or use Isinglass/ flavourless gelatine which are fining agents used to clear beer/wine post fermentation. However, the very fine proteins will remain & you will still have a hazy beer (chill haze). This will occur when you chill the beer, as the fine proteins will clump together. I must also point out, these are animal & fish products so your beer will be a no no for vegan/vegetarians.

I'm a fan of the cloudy look as well but have been experimenting with a lot of different types of recipes just for the learning of it. I've used Irish Moss quite a bit and always turned out some very crisp clear looking brews athumb..

As @dullboy said, I through it in at 15 minutes left of the boil as the recipes I've used with it have all said that.

Back