Have I messed up?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanB1886

Reaction score
Have a coopers european lager and it's been sat in a glass fv for about a month so I've assumed it should be near enough ready for bottling. But, I've put the hydrometer in the fv to see it reading about 19 (way off of the little green guideline on the hydrometer)

As its in a glass fv, I can still see the odd bubble coming up through the liquid. Is it still not finished or have I completely messed up?

Any help appreciated, first brew!

hi dean did you use the coopers yeast and what temperature are you fermenting at the reason I ask the coopers yeast is pretty much an ale yeast and needs to be fermenting at around 18 - 20 c it should be reading 1010 to be finished you could try gently agitating the carboy and raise the temperature to try and get the yeast going good luck

Coopers Euro lager comes with a lager yeast so can be brewed at ale fermenting temperatures (say 19-20*C) or if you want to go lower will keep going as low as 15-16*C and some this forum have fermented it out fully with only one packet of yeast at even lower temperatures. And in my experience of using Coopers kits and their yeasts is they are usually reliable.
So I suggest you first really need to properly check the SG.
Here's how to read a hydrometer
How to measure Specific Gravity using a Homebrew Hydrometer - The HomeBrew Forum
If its finished it should be 1.010 or below (mine went down to 1.007).
But if it is really only at 1.019 then it may have a stuck fermentation so your options are as described in this link
Simple strategies for dealing with stuck fermentations

Latest posts

Back