Have i ruined my beer???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
It is with a very sad head I fear I may have ruined a day of brewing.

I was having a great brew day until I had cooled the wort :doh:

This is the first time using hop pellets which were combined with buds for a different hop and when I tried syphoning they blocked the tap. Then I used a bit of hose to syphon it off (yes I sucked it in mad panic) that got clogged then I grabbed a muslin cloth and put it over the FV and poured it all in and cleared out the hops.

Then I took an sg reading and it was way too high. So I added some water to dilute a bit and way over shot like a moron. I ended with a sg reading of 1.041. Target was 1.051

It gets worse. Then I thought screw it and got a tub of honey and diluted it in some boiling water and brought the sg to 1.043 which was still way to low.

Feel like a proper idiot with beer that will most likely get infected due to my mouth and mits being all in it.

Is there any chance that it's not ruined and if so what are my chances.

I fully expect a few cheap shots Haha.

Just to add this is my second all grain and first using a cool box mash tun. So not feeling too bad as I'm still starting out but just disappointed its been 5hours down the drain

What is done is dine no point worrying about it, chances are it will be fine.

Look on the bright side if it works you have beer and if you learn something so either way it's a win so don't be discouraged and relax as it will fine🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

Can it be ruined? Yes
Can it be OK? Yes

Time will tell. It sounds it might make proper american honey flavoured light beer :lol:

What style of beer were you trying to brew? 1.043 to 1.010 would still give you a 4.3%-ish beer which sounds fine. Now it's still fresh in your memory, write down the things you did. If it turns out nice you can retry it. With regards to the infection; make sure you get a good start with the yeast.. honey and hops are natural antiseptics which is in your favour. If the yeast starts metabolizing sugars the alcohol will do the rest.

Can it be ruined? Yes
Can it be OK? Yes

Time will tell. It sounds it might make proper american honey flavoured light beer :lol:

What style of beer were you trying to brew? 1.043 to 1.010 would still give you a 4.3%-ish beer which sounds fine. Now it's still fresh in your memory, write down the things you did. If it turns out nice you can retry it. With regards to the infection; make sure you get a good start with the yeast.. honey and hops are natural antiseptics which is in your favour. If the yeast starts metabolizing sugars the alcohol will do the rest.

I was going for a Belgian pale ale. So I guess I'll have a Belgian honey pale ale Haha

I'll make sure to jot it down just encase it comes out good. This was supposed to be a Christmas present so hoping it comes out good. Who knows it might come out better

Impossible to tell as yet but it'll probably be fine.
I always had problems with my hop filter blocking so I stopped filtering. I just dump the lot into the fv now. Hasn't caused any problems.

Impossible to tell as yet but it'll probably be fine.
I always had problems with my hop filter blocking so I stopped filtering. I just dump the lot into the fv now. Hasn't caused any problems.

Is that with hop pellets? They go quite powdery, would not effect the FV?

Well had a look and I might as well have never tried to filter the hops out. :doh:

Through the hose, entire buds of hops made it through even with a muslin cloth. I have no idea how that happened but oh well.

Reckon I might as well dry hop as well later on. There are enough hops in there already haha

I reckon that at this time of the year you will have to be terribly unlucky to not get a decent brew.

The real problem will come when you taste it and discover that it is one of the best beers you have ever brewed.

I therefore suggest that you write down EVERYTHING that you did so that you can repeat the brew (avoiding the mistakes) if it turns out to be excellent.

It will also give you something to look back on many years from now and explain to your kids how you weren't always infallible! :whistle:

I reckon that at this time of the year you will have to be terribly unlucky to not get a decent brew.

The real problem will come when you taste it and discover that it is one of the best beers you have ever brewed.

I therefore suggest that you write down EVERYTHING that you did so that you can repeat the brew (avoiding the mistakes) if it turns out to be excellent.

It will also give you something to look back on many years from now and explain to your kids how you weren't always infallible! :whistle:

Haha I'm waiting for the opportunity to use the phrase "back in my day".

Well this is supposed to be a gift but due to the extra water I put in I might skim a few pints off the top just for me. I have written down everything for next time.

That's one thing I never realised when I started brewing. How many pages of notes you keep for brews just encase you make a heavenly brew

Latest posts

Back