Have I ruined my cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasperBoo

Reaction score
Hi all
I am making a 25l batch of simple TC.
1st mistake: I got sidetracked with life and ended up leaving the brew for 3 weeks in its 1ferment stage.
2nd mistake: decided to rack it off into another FV and leaving for a few days before I added sugar for a secondary ferment in a pressure barrel. Without thinking I just opened the tap and transferred it to a second FV, thus introducing loads or air to the mix.

So do you think its ruined? if its buggered is there anything I can do to save it?

Thanks in advance.

The only way you are going to find out for sure is carry on as normal and see how it turns out.

That was kind of my plan....but i was hoping someone more experienced could help me manage my expectations lol.

thus introducing loads or air to the mix.

I know this is a big issue with beer but i have seen members say they degas wine by pouring from one FV to another several times from height i dont think you have anything to worry about, fingers crossed.

I think it will be OK. For future reference, if you get a short length of tubing that its the FV tap, that makes racking much easier and will introduce much less oxygen.

Once beer etc is brewed it is quite hard to really mess it up. The critical stage is the first 3 days of fermentation.

Thanks slid
I do have a syphon tube which I usually use, just plain forgot this time.
Time to add some sugar for the secondary and add some sweetener and pop it all in the pressure barrel.

Yup its at the beginning things can start to go wrong.
So where to start.???
Why at the beginning of course :laugh8:

Joking aside I think your brew will be fine.Oxygen is vital for the maturation as long as its in SMALL doses.
And absolutely vital at the start of fermentation ,More than is generally appreciated.

Well I had a taste of the batch after having it it warm in a PB for 2 weeks and in the fridge for 2 weeks
It had gone from a very appley cider to something very weird- couldnt really describe the taste- it had lost most of the apple taste, seemed very dry and had an almost biscuit type taste. Really not nice.
I am thinking that its time to throw it away.
I may well try the recipe again on a 5l scale and see what happens,

Latest posts

Back