Have I stuffed up?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of a mash right now.
After finishing work I decided to put a brew on, however as life does, things get in the way and I'm trying to concentrate on multiple things.
Ended up forgetting to add sodium metabisulphite during heat up stage, so I just put some in during the mash, my question is, will this be sufficient to remove chlorine/Chloramine or is this doomed?

Cheers

I can't answer that one as IMO it should add it before but If I think on you can rid some of the chlorine by a vigorous boil but not sure about chloramines.
Somebody with more knowledge will pipe up soon and correct if I have mixed it up.
So I would maybe make the boil at little more vigorous and extend it a little too

Thanks Baron, I'm guessing it will be drinkable as I never used to add the stuff years ago and it was drinkable, however since adding it they have become much better

I have also done brews without adding a Campden tablet and had no adverse effects so just run with it. I have sometimes forgot to add protofloc etc but its not the end of the world athumb..

I've never added sodium metabisulphite to a mash in my life, and the world has continued to rotate on its axis, and I have noticed no negative effect on the quality of my beer.

It's probably fair to say that the need or desirability of it depends on the quality of your local water.

I shouldn't panic. Taste the wort and if it's OK then you will be fine.

Incidentally from what I understand, the problem is not so much the chlorine itself but the compounds that it produces when it comes into contact with organic compounds, which can give you a nasty 'TCP' taste even in really low concentrations. But I imagine that at the beginning of the mash the concentrations of organic compounds in solution will be pretty low.

Yes, my intention was to put it in before the mash.
I guess it should be drinkable and putting some in at some point early ( ISH ) in the process will help to some degree.
Now I just have to figure out my wandering efficiency problems, but that's another story

I still never have! :laugh8:

Perhaps one of these days I should try it.
You are very lucky to have nice water out of your tap!!!
Come and try some from the thames valley, you can smell the chlorine when you turn the tap on, nasty.Let alome the 280/300 hardness.

Latest posts

Back