Have THBC stopping delivering to UK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand now. So in my example, I guess lorries at Belfast could/are being checked in some way to ensure it is only carrying goods from NI, and if it has Ireland goods as well then it goes into a different queue?

I got slapped with a 40 quid import fee. I've emailed Shane, but I'm guessing there's nothing I can do but either return it or suck it up. I'm inclined to suck it up as I want the gear and Brexit isn't HBC's fault (or mine actually, but let's not get overly political :P).
Shane will reply as soon as he can as they had been closed for Christmas whilst all this came through but they might open a store north of the border so as to avoid customs and taxes or until things get ironed out as the legislation is all up for change as they are calling all this "Teething Problems".

Another thing to bear in mind for anyone who may have ordered over the Christmas period and paid in full,the order even if it was made up and did not pass through ports before 00.00 01/01/21 will be eligible for duty as this will be the basic requirements.
If you think it's a pain in the rear for us take a step back and have a look how it is for the supplier by taking a look at this from the HMRC.
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/1901

I’ve scanned the customs rules and I may have this completely wrong because I know almost nothing about the subject...

If my fuddled brain has understood correctly there should be no VAT charged on goods from Ireland but we pay import duty. It looks like the costs should be similar before and after the changes.

As things stand I’m paying Irish VAT and UK import tax. D’Oh!

I’ve scanned the customs rules and I may have this completely wrong because I know almost nothing about the subject...

If my fuddled brain has understood correctly there should be no VAT charged on goods from Ireland but we pay import duty. It looks like the costs should be similar before and after the changes.

It's all in its infancy and there are talks with countries regarding this and bear in mind the Ireland is a big importer from the UK and can set their own laws for taxes etc so once it settled down there will be an ease in transition and although NI is getting shafted at the minute lookout for it becoming a transitional hub for distribution beside said countries and Europe as well as there have been 6 additional ferries added to Rosslare port direct to France bypassing the UK which would have been a shorter more traditional route.

Screenshot_20210114-151521.png
Screenshot_20210114-151500.png
Screenshot_20210114-151127.png

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/1002900000#import

Other way around, surely?

Maybe? I’m not sure how well integrated the various pieces of legislation, the various policies, and all the actors in the system are. I’m also not well informed on how the Northern Ireland/Ireland variations frustrate clarity.

What I do know is that I am being asked to pay VAT and import taxes which together represent additional costs of over 40% and I can’t imagine that’s what was intended - so somewhere something isn’t working.

You've got that the other way around or has the cheat sheet not been updated
1hbfuk8
View attachment 39409
GEB may be a forum sponsor but don't offer discount.
Does that mean forum members get a 5 percent discount always.
I'm sure thbc would not like to lose UK business.
Give them a few days to sort things

Yes forum members always get a 5% discount from THBC except when they have the sales on as long as they use the relevant code. Geterbrewed does not give a discount to forum members I believe

I won't pay an extra cost if asked they can have the order back.

The extra cost of course isn’t going to the seller, and by sending it back after it’s cleared customs you may lead to them incurring a load of costs.

Aye anytime I've ordered there has been discount and it's helps towards postage.They are sure once the GOV get things sorted post B word that things will run a bit smoother though until then like us all we'll all just have to be patient.

GEB did when they first came to the forum then there was a bit of a hiccup with software or something but not now but maybe nice if @Get_Er_Brewed @Get_Er_Brewed could partake it would be greatly appreciated 👍

I ordered lights from lights.co.uk before Jan. The real company is Lampenwelt GMBH - I know they are a German company offering excellent quality lights. Whilst I remain positive about the whole B situation I did not trust UK gov / EU to not drag things out to the bitter end. So I ordered early. How were businesses going to to be 100% on top of whatever was agreed at such a late stage?? There will be teething troubles. Change has a habit of doing that. The question will be how many companies want to put the effort required to retain business. If it involves wafer thin margins already then they probably won't. And in amongst all of this I wonder how the hell did I get unsolicited seeds sent from CHINA!!!! :confused.:

Has anyone on the forum that are uk based received their order from THBC since new year?

Nope
I ordered Christmas week and their website says it was dispatched, but I've had no shipping details and when I emailed thbc I've yet to get a reply.
I'll chase them again tomorrow but I'm just not hopeful I'll get my order.

It's most probably DPD who are causing this *****. They won't deliver into or out of Ireland. I suspect THBC are at least as pisssed off as you are.
On the other hand GEB have had to go to that complete bunch of crooks, DHL to ship anything to Europe, at £32 a bag of malt instead of £12. I've gone back to THBC.
Fcuk DPD. They're showing themselves to be the cherry picking lazy bastrards they really are.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to get 2 years stock in against such an eventuality.
I never use them because of DPD. I placed 2 orders and on both occasions they seemed to have drop kicked them across the Irish Sea.

Back