Have THBC stopping delivering to UK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never use them because of DPD. I placed 2 orders and on both occasions they seemed to have drop kicked them across the Irish Sea.
I have the same DPD delivery driver regardless of where I order but the first time I ordered from GetErBrewed when they had switched to DPD I contacted GetErBrewed as the package was in a terrible state but contents were not damaged and it turned out that the package had been damaged at the delivery depot as I emailed Johnathan to tell him and phoned him as I thought nothing was happening.I was wrong as he came on the phone to apologise as there were a few complaints and he got to the route of it very quickly and not a problem since.
As for THBC I have never had a delivery issue though have had mislabeled grains once that were replaced within 24hrs and no need for return and I would say that both are great companies to deal with.

I have the same DPD delivery driver regardless of where I order but the first time I ordered from GetErBrewed when they had switched to DPD I contacted GetErBrewed as the package was in a terrible state but contents were not damaged and it turned out that the package had been damaged at the delivery depot as I emailed Johnathan to tell him and phoned him as I thought nothing was happening.I was wrong as he came on the phone to apologise as there were a few complaints and he got to the route of it very quickly and not a problem since.
As for THBC I have never had a delivery issue though have had mislabeled grains once that were replaced within 24hrs and no need for return and I would say that both are great companies to deal with.
THBS were good to be fair. Both times my extract cans were bashed up. First time I was happy with the discount they gave me as they were getting used fairly quickly anywsy. But my second order I'd never seen anything like it and just got my money back.

I ordered with the THBC Xmas week, sack of Pale Malt plus some other grains, just under 30kg in total. I am still waiting for delivery to NE Scotland. I'm getting low on grains so I will have to look else where whilst all this Customs stuff gets sorted.

THBS were good to be fair. Both times my extract cans were bashed up. First time I was happy with the discount they gave me as they were getting used fairly quickly anywsy. But my second order I'd never seen anything like it and just got my money back.
THBC did not send it out like that and guaranteed it's happened along the delivery route as there are multiple depots along the way.Track and trace there depots and speak to your driver who knows the score.

I never use them because of DPD. I placed 2 orders and on both occasions they seemed to have drop kicked them across the Irish Sea.

I try to only use suppliers that use DPD. Just about the only delivery company I have never had a problem with and when they give you a delivery time it is always kept.

I try to only use suppliers that use DPD. Just about the only delivery company I have never had a problem with and when they give you a delivery time it is always kept.
I have no qualms with PF but I know the driver personally and if an item was damaged he would tell me who I would contact...

I was thinking of trying THBC for my next order. They're a little cheaper than my current vendor and have Golden Promise, which I was wanting to try with my pastiche of Proper Job. Looks like I ought to hang on a bit until this importing debacle is sorted out, which I'm sure it will be at some point.

The whole DPD system needs a shakeup. I ordered a consignment from GEB last Monday (DPD UK) and asked for the tracking number so I could arrange to be in when it came. It hung around in Ireland for several days, then in the Netherlands for a while. Checking the status before going shopping showed it still to be in the Netherlands until, on my return an hour later, it had been delivered to my neighbour!! Similarly, I'm waiting for another package from HBC (DPD Ireland) and this time all I can see is "Your parcel is travelling through the DPD network", which it has been doing for 3 days now. I know they're watching and waiting for me to go out so that they can quickly nip in and delivery it to someone else.
Believe, this is neither GEB's nor HBC's fault. Both say they've bent over backward to comply with the new requirements, and I'm sure they have. DPD need a good kick up the jacksie, they're a bunch of lazy barstewards who can't be arsed to make a bit of an effort for those users who haven't quite caught up with the new requirements yet. All they would need to do is check the documentation before accepting the package, but no. That might require a bot of effort.

The whole DPD system needs a shakeup. I ordered a consignment from GEB last Monday (DPD UK) and asked for the tracking number so I could arrange to be in when it came. It hung around in Ireland for several days, then in the Netherlands for a while. Checking the status before going shopping showed it still to be in the Netherlands until, on my return an hour later, it had been delivered to my neighbour!! Similarly, I'm waiting for another package from HBC (DPD Ireland) and this time all I can see is "Your parcel is travelling through the DPD network", which it has been doing for 3 days now. I know they're watching and waiting for me to go out so that they can quickly nip in and delivery it to someone else.
Believe, this is neither GEB's nor HBC's fault. Both say they've bent over backward to comply with the new requirements, and I'm sure they have. DPD need a good kick up the jacksie, they're a bunch of lazy barstewards who can't be arsed to make a bit of an effort for those users who haven't quite caught up with the new requirements yet. All they would need to do is check the documentation before accepting the package, but no. That might require a bot of effort.

That seems contrary to everything I have experienced with DPD. Their UK operation is very slick. Sounds as though their European operation leaves a lot to be desired though.

I’ve found DPD to be excellent all the time things go well but when there’s a glitch somewhere it exposes the bits that are less slick. Their tracking system isn’t very customer focused as noted by @An Ankoù

I’d quite like these systems updated whenever there’s been any change and at least every 24 hours giving an estimate of the time the parcel will remain in that status and what has to happen for it to move on. Also for the messages to be more meaningful so you don’t see multiple copies of the same meaningless text. Larger logistics companies have sophisticated routing, planning, and tracking, l’d like to see some of that intelligence in the customer tracking system.

That seems contrary to everything I have experienced with DPD. Their UK operation is very slick. Sounds as though their European operation leaves a lot to be desired though.
Up until now they have been very good indeed, apart from the tracking- which has become more and more hit and miss. DPD are ultimately a French company owned by La Poste and so I used to get an email from Colissimo telling me of the imminent arrival of a package (it comes in the post van), but even that seems to have stopped. I think it's because they have been so reliable in the past that I feel so bitter about their letting decent companies down and their so obvious "cherry picking".

I think it's because they have been so reliable in the past that I feel so bitter about their letting decent companies down and their so obvious "cherry picking".

I wouldn't be too hard on them, all the logistics companies are kinda screwed at the moment, and it could be argued that the ones (not just DPD but also eg Schenker) that are saying "hold on a minute, we need to pause and make this right" are the good guys rather than the ones just trying to muddle along in the chaos (qv BrewUK in lockdown1).

This gives you a flavour of what's going on :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55659006
Edit: And another :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-55653683

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too hard on them, all the logistics companies are kinda screwed at the moment, and it could be argued that the ones (not just DPD but also eg Schenker) that are saying "hold on a minute, we need to pause and make this right" are the good guys rather than the ones just trying to muddle along in the chaos (qv BrewUK in lockdown1).

Totally agree. Another example was the maltmiller in the first lockdown. They limited the orders with malt because of the time it takes to mill the grain . This ment they kept most orders being completed and didn't let customers down. By following their instructions all my orders, including malt, were within 48 hours.

Would there be any little tricks like using parcel motel
I got stuff from England to Ireland by using parcel motel around 3 months ago
The seller said no shipping to Ireland

It's a ball ache at the moment.
I had to ship a kit from UK to Jersey today (a 2 can kit, less than 5KG). The prices are horrendous - first quote was over £60.
Shopped around, and sent by PF for just over £15 in the end.
The trouble with DPD is that they are expensive compared to Hermes, UPS, Parcelforce, etc.
Suppliers have to keep costs down, or they don't get sales...

Parcel Force.
Sorry my mistake. My local dpd driver is called Paul and will bend over backwards to help. For parcel force it’s Ian who again is a gentleman and will do all he can to help it’s the part timers and relief drivers that let them down where pf is concerned.

I live in Donegal but I am firmly a Derry man and have an office in Derry that I get parcels delivered to. I have the best of both worlds at the min as I can pick where I want stuff delivered depending on where it originates from.

Sorry my mistake. My local dpd driver is called Paul and will bend over backwards to help. For parcel force it’s Ian who again is a gentleman and will do all he can to help it’s the part timers and relief drivers that let them down where pf is concerned.

I live in Donegal but I am firmly a Derry man and have an office in Derry that I get parcels delivered to. I have the best of both worlds at the min as I can pick where I want stuff delivered depending on where it originates from.
Ian G,a waterside man who I went to school with.

Back