Have THBC stopping delivering to UK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think yourselves lucky. Amazon Spain used to use a company called MRW. In rural areas not only would they not bother trying to deliver, they wouldn't even put a notification card in your post collection box at the end of the road you had to guess someone had sent you a gift.

1. Who has been asked for extra money from DPD or THBC to have their "stuck" orders delivered?
2. Who has paid this and how?
3. Did you get your order delivered?

Here's someone who had filled out the forms well in advance to get EORI, GBRC,GBWK numbers etc but is finding it impossible to use the CHIEF tax-collection system for basic stuff like declaring goods to be tariff-free under a free-trade agreement, and the only support is via email with a 5-day turn-round.

As an independent wine merchant, he reckons it's going to put £1-2 on a bottle of his wines.

I paid £40 import charges via the DPD website. Apparently, it's delivering on Monday.
£40 😲 I hope you ordered plenty of stuff but seriously that's ridiculous to be charging that and I'll guarantee that will change in the near future as tariffs as hefty as that will put people off importing and exporting.
I would query DPD for a breakdown of the cost and send it to your local MP or pass it on to a newspaper/radio station.

It was £190 worth of gear including a Peco boiler, which are out of stock everywhere else. I did get a breakdown somewhere...

It is ridiculous! Very annoying to get a charge like that out of the blue. When the charge came through, the package was already in Birmingham... So it's not even like it was literally stuck in Ireland!

It was £190 worth of gear including a Peco boiler, which are out of stock everywhere else. I did get a breakdown somewhere...

It is ridiculous! Very annoying to get a charge like that out of the blue. When the charge came through, the package was already in Birmingham... So it's not even like it was literally stuck in Ireland!
Robbing gits..

The charge is by the UK government, so it wouldn’t occur until it’s in the UK. Seems about in line with the 22% that Hazelwood mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://www.thomasnet.com/insights/duty-vs-tariff-what-s-the-difference/
Good useful primer on the difference between tariffs and duties. The UK/EU trade deal is tariff free, but consumers are liable for import duties as we are now seeing....!

Last edited:
You can't blame the companies for these costs. It is the British public that voted to leave the UK. Either order from within the UK or expect these charges to be the norm. Companies will have to adapt/move or lose out
Exactly this. I feel for THBC because it’s going to make life more difficult for them in the GB market unless they are able to establish themselves in NI as well, which itself will mean extra effort and cost.

Are you sure it was DPD and not a scam. I've had 2 mails from someone pretending to be DPD saying I missed deliveries and I needed to pay money to get them re-delivered. I hadn't ordered anything so I knew it was a scam.

I think if THBC are going to continue supplying the UK (which I'd guess is a huge part of their business) they're going to have to establish a separate base north of the border pretty damn quick.

I’ve just received my parcel from THBC.

The demand from DPD for import duty is genuine so far as I’m able to determine. I checked the source addresses and these were TLS secured and certificated addresses. I went direct to DPD rather than follow the link supplied. There I was told I had to pay £40.77 or my parcel would be returned. I paid, I received an email acknowledgment from DPD and then notification that delivery was being arranged.

Having received my parcel, out of curiosity I just went back to DPDs tracking system - my parcel is seemingly still going through customs!

I’ve just received my parcel from THBC.

The demand from DPD for import duty is genuine so far as I’m able to determine. I checked the source addresses and these were TLS secured and certificated addresses. I went direct to DPD rather than follow the link supplied. There I was told I had to pay £40.77 or my parcel would be returned. I paid, I received an email acknowledgment from DPD and then notification that delivery was being arranged.

Having received my parcel, out of curiosity I just went back to DPDs tracking system - my parcel is seemingly still going through customs!
Have you reported this excess charge to THBC as they maybe unaware or that it shouldn't have been charged. I still think there's something fishy here and as with the scam mails how did the scammer get my details if not from DPD.

Have you reported this excess charge to THBC as they maybe unaware or that it shouldn't have been charged. I still think there's something fishy here and as with the scam mails how did the scammer get my details if not from DPD.

Yes, I have. Emailed Shane at the time, and again earlier this morning. There may be implications for us on both sides of the sea.

Latest posts

Back