Have THBC stopping delivering to UK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you reported this excess charge to THBC as they maybe unaware or that it shouldn't have been charged. I still think there's something fishy here and as with the scam mails how did the scammer get my details if not from DPD.

Email addresses (source and destination) get routinely collected by scammers and they use that established relationship between the two parties to appear genuine and coming from a familiar source.

Not sure why it was a shock. There was always going to be a cost, hence the years of debate on the matter. Ok it all came to a head at the wrong time, especially with covid, but anyone half heartingly following the news knew there wouldn't be a free trade.

Not a shock to me either or anyone else who'd not been contaminated with the Brexshit virus. My only hope is that there will be workarounds developed over time to compensate for the extra red tape but I'm not holding my breath. Another nail in the coffin marked Brexit dividend aheadbutt

You can't blame the companies for these costs. It is the British public that voted to leave the UK. Either order from within the UK or expect these charges to be the norm. Companies will have to adapt/move or lose out
That's it! I place no blame on THBC at all. I want the gear, it's out of stock everywhere else. Screw it!

Are you sure it was DPD and not a scam. I've had 2 mails from someone pretending to be DPD saying I missed deliveries and I needed to pay money to get them re-delivered. I hadn't ordered anything so I knew it was a scam.
Definitely not a scam, I'm afraid! I have the official DPD app on my phone that tracks all deliveries - I got a notification through the app, by email and they even followed it up by phone (which I was a bit suspicious of - I just fobbed them off and said I'd make my decision to pay it or not in my own time). As @Hazelwood Brewery said earlier, the charge is around 20 per cent of the order and it fitted with that too.

Unfortunately this is the reality of Brexit, it was never going to be a seamless transition. I have seen online Scottish fisher men can't move their catch. Most of which goes to Europe, I take most news with a pinch of salt.

My daughter's beer kit just arrived from THBC, courtesy of DPD, and there were no extra charges at all. It was ordered this year. She said that the delivery was £8.00, so more than the last one she bought but not a show-stopper.

My daughter's beer kit just arrived from THBC, courtesy of DPD, and there were no extra charges at all. It was ordered this year. She said that the delivery was £8.00, so more than the last one she bought but not a show-stopper.

Well that puts the whole subject of DPD charges in a new light, thanks for posting .

I still think the extra payment is a scam. Call their bluff.

Checked into THBC UK website and was refused delivery although my address is NI so I had to change my country to Ireland which was previously left blank.On their I.E website there is no mention of anything but in my orders it is listed as Ireland and this is where I normally order through anyway.
So if you live in NI and use the UK website change your country to Ireland just below your county otherwise you shall be listed as a UK mainland address.

How much was the order worth? Some of the stuff posted here suggests that under £135 will not be charged duty.

I still think the extra payment is a scam. Call their bluff.

It’s a tax. Some would say taxes are a scam of course, and in this case I don’t see that a 22% import duty is particularly defensible given that THBC will also be collecting VAT on the government’s behalf. Rather like the government are having their cake and eating it too, to coin a phrase.

It’s a tax. Some would say taxes are a scam of course, and in this case I don’t see that a 22% import duty is particularly defensible given that THBC will also be collecting VAT on the government’s behalf. Rather like the government are having their cake and eating it too, to coin a phrase.

Import tax is a vehicle to dissuade people from buying imports and allows domestic manufacturers to charge more for their goods. It also reduces the need for government subsidies. All good for the government and manufacturing but is likely to mean consumers will pay more for some things. It may all be OK in the end but only time will tell.

Import tax is a vehicle to dissuade people from buying imports and allows domestic manufacturers to charge more for their goods. It also reduces the need for government subsidies. All good for the government and manufacturing but is likely to mean consumers will pay more for some things. It may all be OK in the end but only time will tell.

Yeh I know the principle, and in the case of ingredients which are freely available in the UK duty will probably have that effect because the government are clearly getting a double tax income (duty and VAT). I’m not an “all tax is theft” type but I come pretty close to it on the import duty/VAT double up. It’s certainly not buccaneering free trade put it that way.

Unfortunately this is the reality of Brexit, it was never going to be a seamless transition. I have seen online Scottish fisher men can't move their catch. Most of which goes to Europe, I take most news with a pinch of salt.
Happening here in wales with shellfish. £40000 of produce taking 5 days to get to Spain instead of 24 hours. There is going to be some dodgy stomachs over there.

Latest posts

Back