Have THBC stopping delivering to UK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just copied and pasted this from THBC
We hope you like it. We are the UKs newest homebrew beer and wine website. We supply everything you need for anything you want to brew. As brewers ourselves, we have the knowledge to go along with the products. We cater for the beginner homebrewer right through to the seasoned professional
does this intimate that they have set up a depot in NI as a means to combat the delivery/import issues ?
No as I can assure you I have asked the question and opening in NI is not on the cards.

It's because it's under £130 or £135 as those above this will get hit with charges and as far as I'm aware foodstuff is zero

Homebrew stuff gets complicated from a VAT point of view as it's on the borderline between food and "hobby materials" like modelling clay or fishing hooks. So wholesale brewing ingredients (like a 5kg box of Citra) are considered food and so are generally VAT free, whereas those same ingredients packaged in homebrew quantities (ie 100g) suddenly stop being food, unless they are food in their own right (like oats for instance).

A grey area gets even greyer when it comes to 25kg sacks of malt - which would be considered wholesale packaging - gets sold to individual homebrewers. AIUI there is an argument that in theory that sort of sale could be VATable but in practice it's considered to fall on the wholesale side of the line.

And that's just the VAT side of things....

For what it's worth, I placed my order on 28th December. THBC sent confirmation that it was shipped on the 5th January. According to the DPD tracking, it say in 'clearing the customs process' for over 2 weeks (still say's it actually), but then yesterday I get a text out of the blue saying it would be delivered yesterday morning, and it was. My only gripe is that I ordered GP rather than MO, but got MO. Not a biggy, just glad to get the ingredients. It's worth sitting it out for a few days more if you've placed an order - it's just taking a lot longer getting through the DPD system (and I've had no issues with them, and I've ordered plenty from the THBC. For interest, my order total was worth £88, and I didn't pay any duties or anything extra.

Oh, and my two-penneth is that these guys bend over backwards to help out us homebrewers. I think they are good guys, most certainly. I will continue to use them, but I'll wait for this nonsense to settle out.

For what it's worth, I placed my order on 28th December. THBC sent confirmation that it was shipped on the 5th January. According to the DPD tracking, it say in 'clearing the customs process' for over 2 weeks (still say's it actually), but then yesterday I get a text out of the blue saying it would be delivered yesterday morning, and it was. My only gripe is that I ordered GP rather than MO, but got MO. Not a biggy, just glad to get the ingredients. It's worth sitting it out for a few days more if you've placed an order - it's just taking a lot longer getting through the DPD system (and I've had no issues with them, and I've ordered plenty from the THBC. For interest, my order total was worth £88, and I didn't pay any duties or anything extra.
No customs issues here, but there's something funny going on with DPD. I used to get my stuff delivered within 3-4 days max but now it's been a nearly 2 weeks for the last 2 orders. It seems to take longer to clear their hub in Ireland and then hangs around in the Netherlands for 6 days or so before arriving on my doorstop with no warning. Not THBC's fault and I'll just plan the delay in and get my liquid yeasts ordered while the weather's still cool.

Well it’s been a couple of weeks now and I see THBC are again offering 25Kg sacks of Vienna (I use lots of Vienna) so time to see if things have moved on.

Last time my order was over £135 so I suffered the double-whammy of delays and import duty. The order I’ve just placed is only about £70 so I’m not expecting import duties. I’ll keep you posted on progress...

I watched the news yesterday and they had a story of Holyhead our 2nd biggest ferry port, it is deserted. Because of the **** of imports to and from the UK , the Irish suppliers to the EU are now shipping directly to EU and not via Dublin - Holyhead - Dover. This could means fewer available vehicles for THBC for their shipments.

Will do, if you don't mind me asking what does vienna bring to a brew i have never used it, would it suit my bitters pale ale english ipa styles

You could consider using some Vienna in place of crystal malts though it would horrify traditionalists 😂 Vienna is a base malt but has a little sweetness and a little more biscuity/ bready malt than pale.

this is a cut and paste Rod
Vienna malt is generally described as adding a subtle malt sweetness and toasty character to beer. In comparison, Munich malt is known for imparting rich malty and bread crust flavors expected in styles like Märzen.
I personally think it gives a malty sweetness and do like it. I have recently been doing brews with 1 third Vienna Munich and Pale malt it gives a lovely malty backbone to a lighter beer

Will do, if you don't mind me asking what does vienna bring to a brew i have never used it, would it suit my bitters pale ale english ipa styles
Vienna seems to cover a multitude of sins: Bestmalz is around 10 ebc, which is what "continental" vienna should be. Crisp's Vienna is essentially mild malt. Minch Malt Vienna covers a range which includes most of the Munich scale, too. And it's dearer than Bestmalz:...

HOW IT IS MADE We produce this malt in our sister plant at Malteries Franco-Suiss, Issoudun in France. Munich Malt is made with much the same process as Pilsner lager malt but germination is shortened while kilning will be at higher temperatures for flavour and colour development. TYPICAL PROFILE 10–30 EBC. Provides flavour and colour to beer. Has characteristically high melanoidin contents, producing dark, aroma-rich malts with deep nutty,

It seems there's Vienna and Vienna and it would be wise to know whose to buy for your intended recipe. I would'nt use Crisps or Minch in a Vienna lager, but Crisps is my goto Mild malt.

All of them are lovely, though.

Back