Haven’t things changed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PigClub

Reaction score
Hello
When I last made a brew it was a Tom Caxton malt extract in a plastic bin then siphoned into a Woolworths plastic barrel with a Co2 cylinder on the top.
It tasted very much like home brew and I was disappointed.

Technology has really moved on.
I do like beer and making things. I have bought ‘Brew’ by James Morton and I am raring to go.

What would I need to get to emulate Black Sheep?

Do people eventually upgrade to the sophisticated equipment or pitch in straight away.

Thank you for welcoming me to this wonderful forum

Welcome to the forum.

A white sheep and some black paint! :laugh8:

Joking aside you can make very good beer with very basic equipment and many here do or you can blow a ton of cash on shiny equipment and make very good beer and again many here do.

Last edited:
@PigClub
Welcome to the forum.
You will find all sorts of brewers on here.
From basic kit brewers (some of whom have just joined) right through to those who spend £000s on equipment and like to take their hobby to the highest level.
And you will also find a variance on opinions on what works best.
However in the end you find what works for you, given time space budget and enthusiasm.
My suggestion to you is to start simple, get afew brews under your belt then decide what you want to do.
And I find with the few attempts I have made at trying to clone a commercial beer is that it rarely tastes anything like it, perhaps just different and perhaps equally or even more enjoyable especially since you have brewed it yourself. But if you search here or the web at large there might be a recipe for Black Sheep. You might even find a ready made up kit somewhere from an internet supplier. But you may also find that after a few brews you just want to make your own beers to your own recipes rather than simply clone something commercially available

Joking aside you can make very good beer with very basic equipment and many here do or you can blow a ton of cash on shiny equipment and make very good beer and again many here do.
How true. Blowing a load of dosh on equipment won't make your beer any better, in spite of what the marketing hype may say. Good sanitation, knowing what you're doing, and a love for what you're doing makes good beer, not stainless steel and loads of dosh. Of course it's nice to drive to work in a Ferrari, but your Honda Civic will get you there just as quickly, just as safely, and with a lot less fuss.
A decent book. I think Wheeler's earlier editions contain a recipe for Black sheep.
Welcome to Valhalla.

Latest posts

Back