Hazelwood’s Brewday Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I took out the Pilsner to chill down and tomorrow I will keg it. I might also get to try my latest gadget, a 1-micron filter. If the beer has dropped clear there may not be much point but I won’t know for sure until tomorrow. This is the filter.

C0B743F1-50DE-40D5-8513-2750E4C58135.jpeg

Also tomorrow I will be brewing a Belgian Tripel, this one will be used for my submission to the LAB Open competition at the beginning of May. I have the grist and the water prepared and I’ve set the timer to heat the mash water at 6:30.

The sour is also ready to keg but I might just leave that to Saturday.

I have one of those filters and just make sure you get the top fitting as snug as you can because mine was a nightmare to get it to seal. Tested mine with starsan and then hooked it up to my CO2 supply.

Just a thought... I have a filter of a similar overall layout that I use when kegging if I've dry hopped.

It suffers the same problem though, that the clear plastic base needs to be done up very tight to get a good seal...

It's just occurred to me that a bit of PTFE tape on the threads might help to get a good seal, or if nothing else at least make it easier to screw up tight 🤔

Just a thought... I have a filter of a similar overall layout that I use when kegging if I've dry hopped.

It suffers the same problem though, that the clear plastic base needs to be done up very tight to get a good seal...

It's just occurred to me that a bit of PTFE tape on the threads might help to get a good seal, or if nothing else at least make it easier to screw up tight 🤔
Thanks Matt. I have plenty of PTFE tape so I’ll give it a go if needed. It sounds like I need to get this working reliably with water before I think about using it on my precious beer!

Thanks Matt. I have plenty of PTFE tape so I’ll give it a go if needed. It sounds like I need to get this working reliably with water before I think about using it on my precious beer!
Definitely! 👍 More than once when I've got new gear (including with my filter actually) I've done a "wet" dry run just with water to see how everything works out in practice - exactly as you say you don't want to be wasting or ruining beer and getting in a flap on your brew- or packaging-day.

I just checked the gravity in my tripel. It's down to 1.014 I would like it to drop another couple of points. My starting gravity was 1.078 it's been in the fermenter over 3 weeks now.

First brew of 2022 and I thought I’d treat myself with a new brewday thread. 🥳

Todays brew is a Saison, a simple recipe that’s mostly pale malt with a little wheat and a splash of rye. Hopped with Styrian Goldings, seasoned with Coriander, and fermented with Belle Saison.

The kit I’m using for the mash is a 30 litre hot water heater, a grain basket, pump, and a bit of hose. The temperature is being controlled by an Inkbird. Simple.

View attachment 61091 View attachment 61092

After the mash, the sparge. For this I spray sparge water into the water heater while recirculating. I do have to decant a litre every few minutes or the boiler would overflow. One day I’ll make a Valentine Arm and save myself the hassle.

View attachment 61093 View attachment 61094 View attachment 61095

After the sparge, drain the grain basket and then reintroduce the decanted wort ready for the boil.

View attachment 61096 View attachment 61097 View attachment 61098

Hi H, whats your recipe for this one please? Planning on brewing a saison early next month (pilsner first), and scouting recipes. Cheers!

Hi H, whats your recipe for this one please? Planning on brewing a saison early next month (pilsner first), and scouting recipes. Cheers!
Hi Pilgrim, 20 litre batch, recipe is…

Water
28l RO, 5.6g Sulphate, 1.4g Chloride

Mash
20l treated water, 2.8Kg Golden Promise, 450g Wheat malt, 150g Rye malt, mash at 148F for 30m, 158F for 20m, 170F for 20m. Sparge with 8l treated water.

Boil
400g Glucose, 70g Styrian Goldings (60m), 30g Styrian Goldings (10m), 1/2 protofloc tablet (10m), 12g Indian Coriander (5m).

Fermentation
1 pk Belle Saison, pitch @ 78F, ferment for 12 days @ 78F

You can ferment at a lower temperature if you prefer. I used 78F because I had other beers fermenting at this temperature at the same time.

Hi Pilgrim, 20 litre batch, recipe is…

Water
28l RO, 5.6g Sulphate, 1.4g Chloride

Mash
20l treated water, 2.8Kg Golden Promise, 450g Wheat malt, 150g Rye malt, mash at 148F for 30m, 158F for 20m, 170F for 20m. Sparge with 8l treated water.

Boil
400g Glucose, 70g Styrian Goldings (60m), 30g Styrian Goldings (10m), 1/2 protofloc tablet (10m), 12g Indian Coriander (5m).

Fermentation
1 pk Belle Saison, pitch @ 78F, ferment for 12 days @ 78F

You can ferment at a lower temperature if you prefer. I used 78F because I had other beers fermenting at this temperature at the same time.

Cheers mate, couple of things, glucose.... did you use anything special or just sugar? Coriander, i'm presuming seed, did you toast or crush beforehand, i've seen recipes that did both or neither!

Damn, thought I might have had enough Styrian, do you think i could mix in some EKG or Bobek?

Fahrenheit? WTF? 😂

Cheers mate, couple of things, glucose.... did you use anything special or just sugar? Coriander, i'm presuming seed, did you toast or crush beforehand, i've seen recipes that did both or neither!

Damn, thought I might have had enough Styrian, do you think i could mix in some EKG or Bobek?

Fahrenheit? WTF? 😂
It was glucose powder but you could use sugar.

Yes coriander seed, ground. I didn’t toast it.

You can use other hops but will obviously get a different beer. You could focus the Styrian Goldings on the 10m addition for flavour and sub the bittering hops.

Fahrenheit - well it’s only fair you put at least a little effort in! 😂

It was glucose powder but you could use sugar.

Yes coriander seed, ground. I didn’t toast it.

You can use other hops but will obviously get a different beer. You could focus the Styrian Goldings on the 10m addition for flavour and sub the bittering hops.

Fahrenheit - well it’s only fair you put at least a little effort in! 😂

Cheers mate!

I kegged the new batch of raspberry sour this morning. It looks very different having added pectolase and with only half as much fruit. It tastes a little thin but that might be fine for a summer drink. Now to get it carbonated and see how that changes it, the last batch became even more refreshing with a bit of fizz.

83A8C101-2CB4-4433-97B3-4B1C0C20863E.jpeg
19253A43-66BA-455D-BB9A-D16988AA74F9.jpeg

I'm sure I read recently that Styrian *was* Bobek? Or, more precisely, that 'Styrian Goldings' was a generic term that included Bobek and a couple of other varieties.

Latest posts

Back