Hazelwood’s Brewday Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have the Schwarzbier kegged too. This one finished s little higher than expected at 1014 so ABV is a little lower at 4.6%. It’s possible that even after 12 days fermenting it hasn’t quite finished but because it’s in a keg that’s not going to be a problem. The flavour out of the keg is already nice so I’m also looking forward to this one.

6668F0DB-1804-4359-820C-35A99FDBD685.jpeg
1D9C9A4B-4DD2-4370-878C-705E412853CC.jpeg

Today I brewed another Czech Pilsner. All went to plan and just over 20 litres at OG=1050 is in the fermentation cabinet.
1BC431AE-1648-4796-8945-D4E84A61BE50.jpeg
I might keg that Weiss tomorrow. Then sometime this week I need to get a Golden Ale on for swaps.

I kegged that Weissbier this morning and it’s another lovely beer. It starts with mild clove and wheat malt. Over a few seconds the clove fades and banana builds. This is the best batch of Weissbier I’ve ever brewed. Chuffed!
05CDA036-4CB6-4427-A611-6F23015E0854.jpeg
61F66F50-DDD4-4929-9562-AE841D255E1A.jpeg

So cuffed in fact I’m drinking my first pint right now, even completely flat it’s good.
BD24D5B1-6DAE-44DB-919E-24D472633A51.jpeg

I’ve prepared for another brewday tomorrow. This is the Golden Ale I’ll be using for swaps next month. The water is prepared, grist prepared, and the timer is set for a early start.

After that I will just have the imperial stout I intend to age in a barrel and I will have completed my re-stock - yay!

I’ve just kegged the cider. The flavour is fairly sweet and very fruity. No trace of alcohol in the flavour despite it being 5.9%. I kegged about 25 litres into a King Keg and it will sit in my brewshed for about a month to let the residual haze clear, then I’ll bottle it.

07B841FF-15A5-4B10-868D-D6882F60953D.jpeg
06ADEB00-3BF6-4D1C-A3A1-236DF50D76D8.jpeg

I kegged another batch of Pilsner this morning. Nice colour but looks a bit murky at the moment, a month of conditioning will sort that out.
EE546AD2-D254-48DC-ADBD-F826D31AD71E.jpeg
762D7615-0189-4AED-B1FD-832023FF0A3D.jpeg

Also, yesterday I dry-hopped my Golden Ale so I can get that in a keg on Sunday.

Today, I’ll be preparing for tomorrow’s brew, the barrel-aged Impy. There will be more on that in the barrel aged Impy thread.

I’ve just pulled my monitoring data for the brewshed cooling system to see how it performed through those few days of high temperatures. It actually performed very well. Other than the three days that were very hot the brewshed temperature (blue line) was maintained. When the outside temperature (yellow) hit 35 the cooling started to struggle and the brewshed hit a high of 15.4. The following day when temperatures got to 38 the brewshed rose to a high of 16.2.

Where things look weird on the 20th I was actually cleaning my beer lines so the door to the brewshed was open (why the brewshed spiked at 18.6) and the chiller was switched off (why the exhaust (red) dropped suddenly to 22).

F223E2CA-7A15-4A86-A430-56EB6B6550F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Last week our eldest daughter had a wedding party with lots of boxes, bottles, and cans of beer. At the end of the party we shared the spoils of the left over beer boxes. She took all the flavoured ciders and I brought home an almost full box of Sea Fury (it was the refrigerated bottles and cans that proved most popular).

The trouble is, the Sea Fury is now completely flat. This morning I tasted it and it didn’t seem to be bad despite being flat and having gotten warm through the day so I thought it might be worth a punt at recarbonating it.

Here it is about to be transferred from bag to keg. What could possibly go wrong?

724422EE-CA6C-4F1C-9306-8BA43BB640DF.jpeg
58B05E30-F283-4146-B708-E5B5F0D6B313.jpeg

As it happens the transfer was straightforward and uneventful. The nearly full keg is now in my brewshed carbonating. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Last week our eldest daughter had a wedding party with lots of boxes, bottles, and cans of beer. At the end of the party we shared the spoils of the left over beer boxes. She took all the flavoured ciders and I brought home an almost full box of Sea Fury (it was the refrigerated bottles and cans that proved most popular).

The trouble is, the Sea Fury is now completely flat. This morning I tasted it and it didn’t seem to be bad despite being flat and having gotten warm through the day so I thought it might be worth a punt at recarbonating it.

Here it is about to be transferred from bag to keg. What could possibly go wrong?

View attachment 72348 View attachment 72349

As it happens the transfer was straightforward and uneventful. The nearly full keg is now in my brewshed carbonating. I’ll let you know how it goes.
hope the sea fury comes good, I'd had it on cask at our town's beer festival last week and was so underwhelmed, having had it from a keg previously where it was a lovely pint I had great expectations lol.

hope the sea fury comes good, I'd had it on cask at our town's beer festival last week and was so underwhelmed, having had it from a keg previously where it was a lovely pint I had great expectations lol.
I’ve not had it for a while because I usually have it in Cornwall and we haven’t been for the last 3 years. Sea Fury has always been a good pint when fresh and kept/served properly.

Fingers crossed I can bring it back to life 🤞

This morning I’ve cleaned my beer lines. They again needed it so I’m definitely going to keep to my cleaning regime.

Today I will bottle up some Golden Ale for swaps and as an option for Brewcon. I now always bottle beer just after cleaning the beer lines to make sure there is nothing turning those competition bottles bad in the run up to judging.

Latest posts

Back