Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning H...looking at your Saison recipes...quite a difference between them in terms of malt bill. Are these "standard" or can you do what you like?
Will the malted wheat make it cloudy? What does the Vienna bring?
Cheers.

Morning H...looking at your Saison recipes...quite a difference between them in terms of malt bill. Are these "standard" or can you do what you like?
Will the malted wheat make it cloudy? What does the Vienna bring?
Cheers.

Hi @Clint

To an extent I’m experimenting. As with any beer you can do what you like as long as it’s in keeping with the style or if you are not looking for a style you can do almost(!) anything at all.

There is a risk of some haze from the higher protein wheat but I’m not whirlpooling or dry hopping so I won’t be adding a truck load of phenols through the hops. The wheat will add to head retention, mouthfeel, and may even add a slight tartness to the ale.

Vienna will add a little colour, a little sweetness, and a little depth to the malt flavours which are not very strong in a saison.

So there’s the rationale, only time will tell...

Just finished another brew, a saison flavoured with lots of Ahtanum. I think this could be nice, we’ll see. This is the recipe:

New Saison 4.7%
3.6Kg Pilsner malt
1Kg Malted wheat
400g Vienna malt
Mash at 150F for 75 mins
12g Magnum leaf AA=15.3% 60 mins
1/2 Protofloc tablet at 15 mins
50g Ahtanum pellet AA=3.8% 15 mins
24 litres in FV, OG=1040
1 pack MJ M29 Saison yeast, 26C
Keg after 12 days, FG=1004
vienna is a good idea for another malt, less biscuity than munich.

Hi @Clint

To an extent I’m experimenting. As with any beer you can do what you like as long as it’s in keeping with the style or if you are not looking for a style you can do almost(!) anything at all.

There is a risk of some haze from the higher protein wheat but I’m not whirlpooling or dry hopping so I won’t be adding a truck load of phenols through the hops. The wheat will add to head retention, mouthfeel, and may even add a slight tartness to the ale.

Vienna will add a little colour, a little sweetness, and a little depth to the malt flavours which are not very strong in a saison.

So there’s the rationale, only time will tell...
yeah oddly enough my clearest beers are the ones with wheat in them seems a bit counter intuitive.

Just had a taste of my Equinox ale.

...liked it and had another taste ;)

Bready, biscuity malt. Really complex fruity aroma - tropical, banana, apple, pear(?), citrus, and some herby character, possibly eucalyptus and a little black pepper. Flavour is citrus, pithy orange, a little eucalyptus. Bitterness is quite mild but lingers.

F3BA2B27-96A4-4238-ACE2-036C5F181536.jpeg

Next the cardamom saison I kegged on Friday (to check pressure and carbonation mostly).

Very pale In appearance, nice off white head, still quite hazy at the moment. Aroma is slightly bready but the cardamom and coriander shine through. On tasting the first thing that hit me is the soft mouthfeel, then the beautiful cardamom and coriander aromatic spices with a little lemon citrus. Very mild bitterness and actually it’s the coriander that seems to be lingering - though not for long. Clean, dry finish with a little pepper coming through right at the end.

B187AA1C-00F3-4C96-BF5E-DF598510E4BB.jpeg

Final taster for today, the bitter I also kegged on Friday.

Already clear, beautiful copper brown colour, still fairly lightly carbonated but retaining a light head nonetheless. Aroma is full on malt with a slight fruitiness to it. Flavour is malt with a slight floral fruitiness and a slightly earthy finish. Bitterness is more mild than I’d expected. I’m sure it will improve but this one is drinkable now.

7CAE3896-5107-4729-A3EC-B59E8D1C13F3.jpeg

Not a bad tasting. Happy! 🥳

Next the cardamom saison I kegged on Friday (to check pressure and carbonation mostly).

Very pale In appearance, nice off white head, still quite hazy at the moment. Aroma is slightly bready but the cardamom and coriander shine through. On tasting the first thing that hit me is the soft mouthfeel, then the beautiful cardamom and coriander aromatic spices with a little lemon citrus. Very mild bitterness and actually it’s the coriander that seems to be lingering - though not for long. Clean, dry finish with a little pepper coming through right at the end.

View attachment 31092
This is definitely on my brew list!!

I kegged my latest pale ale tonight and just realised I didn’t even tell you I’d brewed it! I’ll pick that up tomorrow because time is cracking on and I’ve just sat down. Anyway, here’s a pic. It’s quite clear but tastes a bit mucky out of the fermenter. I’ll probably taste it again at the weekend.

45A199B6-834D-40BD-AC39-623E4AFA7BB1.jpeg

Edit: I brewed this ale August 6th. The recipe:

Pale Ale 4.2%
3.5Kg Maris Otter
500g Flaked oats
150g Torrified wheat
150g Crystal 385
75 min mash at 150F
15g Magnum leaf AA=15.3% 60 mins
1/2 protofloc tablet at 15 mins
50g Cascade leaf at 15 mins
24 litres in FV, OG=1038
1pk S04 yeast
Keg on day 12, FG=1006

Last edited:
Just had a taste of my Equinox ale.

...liked it and had another taste ;)

Bready, biscuity malt. Really complex fruity aroma - tropical, banana, apple, pear(?), citrus, and some herby character, possibly eucalyptus and a little black pepper. Flavour is citrus, pithy orange, a little eucalyptus. Bitterness is quite mild but lingers.

View attachment 31091
You're making my mouth water with that description, I need to try this hop.
Dare I say it... sounds like a good hop for a Saison.

I’ve decided to publish the competition scores when I submit my beers so anyone thinking of using one of my recipes can see how it scored - good or bad!

In last months competition I submitted a saison. I originally published the recipe in post #79 but I’ve reproduced it here for convenience. The scores awarded....

Aroma 9/12
Appearance 3/3
Flavour 14/20
Mouthfeel 4/5
Overall 7/10
Total score 37/50

The recipe:

Goofie Saison 5.1%
3.6Kg Pilsner malt
800g Vienna malt
1Kg Flaked Barley
Mash at 155F for 75 mins

10g Magnum leaf AA=15.3% 60 mins

At 0 mins reduce temp to 165F
22g Nelson Sauvin leaf AA=12.3%
20g Amarillo leaf AA=9.2%
110g thinly sliced orange peel
Hold at 165F for 30 minutes

23 litres in FV, OG=1042
1 pack Belle Saison yeast
Keg after 14 days, FG=1003

Brewed another batch of Galaxy / Citra ale today “Summer Breeze”. Last brewed June 28th and now down to my last couple of pints. I should really have started this a month ago but there’s not much I can do about that now and I have plenty of other ales. Recipe is...

Summer Breeze 5.2%
4.5Kg Vienna malt
500g Flaked oats
250g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 150F
20g Magnum leaf AA=15.3% 60 min
1/2 Protofloc tablet at 10 mins
50g Citra leaf AA=13.6% at 10 mins
50g Galaxy leaf AA=12.6% at 10 mins
(actually used pellets, run out of leaf)
At 0 mins, cool to 165F
Hold at 165F for 30 min hopstand with
50g Citra leaf AA=13.6%
Cool to 70F
22 litres in the FV, OG =1048
10g US West Coast yeast

I’m going to try a different dry hop regime this time, normally I would add:
50g Citra leaf on day 7

This time I’m going to add 10g Citra pellets on each of days 5,6,7,8,9,10,11.

Barrel on day 12, SG=1008

The dry-hop rationale: I’ve previously tried adding dry hops for different lengths of time and found most of the benefit is achieved in the first few hours. I’d like to see if the beer takes on a more hoppy aroma if it’s subjected to a smaller hop addition each day rather than one big hit.

Anyone already tried this?

Brewed another batch of Galaxy / Citra ale today “Summer Breeze”. Last brewed June 28th and now down to my last couple of pints. I should really have started this a month ago but there’s not much I can do about that now and I have plenty of other ales. Recipe is...

Summer Breeze 5.2%
4.5Kg Vienna malt
500g Flaked oats
250g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 150F
At 0 mins, cool to 165F
50g Citra leaf AA=13.6%
Cool to 70F
10g US West Coast yeast

50g Citra leaf on day 7

The dry-hop rationale: I’ve previously tried adding dry hops for different lengths of time and found most of the benefit is achieved in the first few hours. I’d like to see if the beer takes on a more hoppy aroma if it’s subjected to a smaller hop addition each day rather than one big hit.

Looks like a nice recipe, does it make you feel fine ?

Summer Breeze 5.2%
4.5Kg Vienna malt
500g Flaked oats
250g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 150F
At 0 mins, cool to 165F
50g Citra leaf AA=13.6%
Cool to 70F
10g US West Coast yeast

50g Citra leaf on day 7

In your experience how long do you leave your dry hop in to achieve maximum flavour. I have a red IPA I dry hopped last night. I would really like to bottle this tonight, I am back to work tomorrow night. Is 24 hrs too little

In your experience how long do you leave your dry hop in to achieve maximum flavour. I have a red IPA I dry hopped last night. I would really like to bottle this tonight, I am back to work tomorrow night. Is 24 hrs too little

I’ve tried 24 hours to 2 weeks and not found much of a difference. That’s why I’m trying something different and going for multiple 24hour additions.

This morning I kegged my brown ale and I kegged my latest saison.

The saison took over the fermentation cupboard because of the temperature it needed. Now the fermentation cupboard is empty I can get four 10-litre small batch IPA’s on the go and start my beer/hop blend experiment I spoke of in post #182.

Tomorrow I start my dry hop experiment on my latest Galaxy / Citra batch to see if multiple small dry hop additions give better results than one large addition. I am a bit sceptical or everyone would be doing it already. Anyway, nothing ventured...

I also need to get another stout on the go so it’s going to be a busy couple of days.

Yesterday I made the effort and brewed four small-batch single-hop beers. I tried to take some of the effort out by mashing once and boiling the wort with the bittering addition, to be used as the base for all four brews. This did mean a pretty full boiler, I think I even pushed it further than @Hopsteep !

26C1698B-2317-415D-BDFA-F4132A07A69A.jpeg

The recipe was quite simple

4250g Pale malt 82%
700g Malted wheat 13%
250g Crystal 30 5%
Mash for 75 mins at 150F
10g Magnum leaf AA=15.3% 60 mins
At 15 mins add 1/2 protofloc tablet
At 0 mins add 1Kg Glucose in 2 litres boiling water.
Drop temp to 180F and decant 28 litres into two fermenting buckets.

For each of the four beers:
7 litres of the base wort into boiler
Raise to 170F and hold temperature for 30-min hopstand with 60g of the flavour hop
Cool to 70F
Approx 6 litres into FV (Jerry can!)
3g US05 yeast

Each batch will be dry-hopped on day 5 with 20g and day 9 with 20g of the same flavour hop.

Each batch will be bottled on day 14.

Here’s the result, 4 small batch brews in the fermentation cupboard.

48C36B45-408E-45E9-8374-CF8139DC5135.jpeg

The plan when these are fermented is to blend them in various combinations to see which hop combinations I prefer. I’ll add more on this as I do it.

Very interesting bXperiment. It'll be interesting to see if blending beers can predict how different hips work together.
BTW. What's with the degrees F? Grams and degrees F don't mix well asad..

I grew up through imperial and metric so freely use whatever I like! 😂

Grams give better resolution than ounces, Fahrenheit better resolution than Centigrade.

I also switch between inches and cm depending on how conveniently the scale fits whatever I’m measuring!

Latest posts

Back