Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, did you warm ferment your Czech pilsner? The reason I ask is that when I was reviewing it, with the first few mouthfuls I thought I was detecting a slight estery flavour. I actually had written down "hint of bubblegum" under flavour, but I went back and deleted that because after a few more sips I thought I'd maybe imagined it as I couldn't pick it out anymore.

Yes I did. When I start drinking it I’ll look out for that now you’ve mentioned it.

i've worked in pubs that have inferior set ups to your serving arrangements!
i'm content with extract kits for the foreseeable but it's inspiring to see brews done this way.

😂 I’ll choose to take that as a compliment!

Nothing wrong with extract kits unless you want to control and influence every aspect of your brews - I’m afraid some of us do (and not always resulting in better beer!).

I’m pleased to say my Weizen yeast has just been delivered so my Weizen brew is on for tomorrow - yay!

The recipe is simple...

Weizen ~ 4.6%
3Kg Wheat malt
2Kg Pilsner malt
Stepped mash: 142F 15m, 154F 25m, 162F 30m, 170F, 10m.

25g Hallertauer Mittelfruh AA=3.9% 60 mins IBUs=12

1 pack MJ M20 Weizen yeast

Water profile SO4:120, Cl:60, Ca:83

No, I don’t sell beer but I’m happy to send you some if you want to try anything. I also post all my recipes (and competition scores) so if there’s something you like you can make it.
Was just wondering, given the scale and professionalism of your set up... And the username.

One day I may well take you up on that, but not until I happen to have some packaging et cetera to hand to return the favour.

Was just wondering, given the scale and professionalism of your set up... And the username.

One day I may well take you up on that, but not until I happen to have some packaging et cetera to hand to return the favour.

That’s nice, thank you! The scale is because I like a variety and because I like beer (and maybe I’m a touch greedy).

I honestly don’t think I’m doing any more than many people but having just refit my brew-shed as a retirement project it all looks shiny and new.

You’re welcome to ask to try something any time, I don’t expect anything in return. I’m also always happy to receive something though as and when ;)

Latest posts

Back