Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m trying this flavouring in my plum porter and early results smell and taste good.

I’ve now ordered their Hazelnut flavouring to make a Hazelnut Stout (I love the one from Dark Arts) and some Clementine flavouring to make a “Jaffa Cake” Chocolate Stout. Excited already!

EE307A51-5FD1-4EDA-902A-09521E591692.jpeg

Tried the Hazelnut flavour in a stout - such a disappointment. I’m gutted.

Tried the Clementine and Chocolate flavour in a stout (Jaffa Cake Stout) and this is showing some promise. Not good enough as it is but I might make up three or four bottles to see if the flavours develop in the bottle.

Next, a couple of fruit flavours (not in the stout).

21E69760-428C-4AE8-B311-608F6578B8EC.jpeg

Tried the Hazelnut flavour in a stout - such a disappointment. I’m gutted.

Tried the Clementine and Chocolate flavour in a stout (Jaffa Cake Stout) and this is showing some promise. Not good enough as it is but I might make up three or four bottles to see if the flavours develop in the bottle.

Next, a couple of fruit flavours (not in the stout).

View attachment 25156
What sort of dosage rates are you mixing with? I once used peanut butter essence in a choc stout and put in about 1ml a litre. Won’t do that again...

Some time ago I tried a bottle of Goose Island Sofie saison and liked it. The key attributes for this beer (I think) are orange peel and being aged in white wine barrels. I haven’t got white wine barrels or even oak chips so thought I might just try Nelson Sauvin hops to get something of a hint of white wine in the hop stand and I added quite a lot of fresh orange peel at the same time. Just for good measure some Amarillo hops too. Will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Just had a peek in my fermentation cupboard to check on my saison. It was bubbling contentedly so all looking good. Most notable though - as I opened the door I got a waft of orange from the orange peel. I’ve no idea what this will taste like but the smell at this point is incredible. Excited (again!)

im trying to picture in my head orange and grapes? cant seem to... curious how they will mesh.

i have a soft spot for saison's and citra. match made in heaven for me. but sauvin is a great idea.

im trying to picture in my head orange and grapes? cant seem to... curious how they will mesh.

i have a soft spot for saison's and citra. match made in heaven for me. but sauvin is a great idea.

It might not work! I’ll let you know.

Edit: Please, don’t let it be like Buck’s Fizz!!!

Last edited:
Made another batch of my Mosaic IPA. This is one of those beers that doesn’t really impress for about 4 weeks then quite suddenly becomes everyone’s favourite - second favourite when there’s any Summer Breeze left (Citra/Galaxy IPA).

23 litres, OG=1060, abv~6.5%

Made another batch of my Mosaic IPA. This is one of those beers that doesn’t really impress for about 4 weeks then quite suddenly becomes everyone’s favourite - second favourite when there’s any Summer Breeze left (Citra/Galaxy IPA).

23 litres, OG=1060, abv~6.5%
Hard to see past mosaic. I just bottled my black IPA last night. I paired mosiac with Simcoe. Smells good.
What's your recipe for your mosiac IPA

Hard to see past mosaic. I just bottled my black IPA last night. I paired mosiac with Simcoe. Smells good.
What's your recipe for your mosiac IPA

I do the same:

Mosaic IPA “Festival”
4.8Kg Vienna malt
300g Crystal 30
200g Torrified wheat
75min mash at 155F

20g Magnum Leaf AA=15.3% (60 mins)

1/2 Protofloc tablet (15 mins)
30g Simcoe Leaf AA=13% (15 mins)
30g Mosaic Leaf AA=11.4% (15 mins)

1Kg sugar (0 mins)

Reduce temp to 165F
30g Simcoe Leaf AA=13%
30g Mosaic Leaf AA=11.4%
Hop stand for 30 mins at 165F

23 litres in FV, OG=1060
20g US West Coast yeast

Dry hop on day 7
50g Simcoe Leaf, added dry
50g Mosaic Leaf, added dry

Barrel on day 12, FG=1010

Last edited:
Just kegged my “Goofie” saison and I’m really impressed with the performance of the Belle Saison yeast: OG=1042, FG=1003. I even mashed at a fairly high temperature and by my reckoning the yeast still managed to achieve 93% attenuation! 👏👏👏

Goofie Saison 5.1%
3.6Kg Pilsner malt
800g Vienna malt
1Kg Flaked Barley
Mash at 155F for 75 mins

10g Magnum leaf AA=15.3% 60 mins

At 0 mins reduce temp to 165F
22g Nelson Sauvin leaf AA=12.3%
20g Amarillo leaf AA=9.2%
110g thinly sliced orange peel
Hold at 165F for 30 minutes

23 litres in FV, OG=1042
1 pack Belle Saison yeast
Keg after 14 days, FG=1003

My recipe for sweet stout, still under development but not bad even now.

Sweet Stout 5.0%
3.6Kg Maris Otter
400g Chocolate malt EBC 900
300g Flaked oats
250g Crystal malt EBC 385
250g Special-B malt EBC 300
200g Brown malt EBC 150
200g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 155F

10g Phoenix leaf Hops (60 mins)

500g Lactose at 5 mins
20g Phoenix leaf hops at 5 mins