Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final test. Set the clock, set the defrost to come on and off again 1 minute later.

16:15 and the defrost is off. Circuit is closed.
64FC9115-0C36-44BF-AA8B-EBE06C21B5D0.jpeg

16:16 defrost comes on and circuit opens.
AFA157DE-397F-4366-BF0E-2BFA94813375.jpeg

16:17 defrost is switched back off and the circuit closes again
A46CB205-A9AD-4717-888D-2F5226B18DBA.jpeg

HB your passion for brewing is second to none, wish there was more days/hours in the week.Can only manage one 23ltr brew a week atm.
I’m doing the same really. I have two spaces in my fermentation cabinet and it takes the best part of two weeks for them to ferment. Works out the same as you and only a problem if you drink more than 23litres a week 😉

I can ferment many beers concurrently by raising the temperature of the brew-shed to 18C and making the whole shed an enormous fermentation cabinet but I only do this on occasion to quickly build up stock - when I’m thirsty 😂

To be honest it isnt to bad keeping the kegs full atm, when lock down rules get relaxed, there are a few friends and family chomping at the bit for some beer on tap.....ashock1

My defrost system is now integrated into my brew-shed temperature control panel and is working. The system will now automatically defrost at 1am for 1 hour each day. This is what it looks like (I’ve manually switched on the defrost so you can see the “defrost on” light illuminated).

2203FF05-6993-4147-B87E-03AEE0559B41.jpeg

So you drink your ales at 14. I am drinking around 8 degrees.
What do you put through the maxi cooler. Pilsner

Yes that’s right. 14C for me is a good temperature for most ales. The cooler chills pilsners to close to zero, and chills my saison and weizen to about 7C.

It is possible of course to also chill my fermentation cabinet if I’m not fermenting so that gives me additional flexibility.

This morning seems a good day for tasting a few beers and experimenting with some flavourings.

Tasting first and I’m starting with a Citra Pale. Excuse the light glare on the lens. This ale has been conditioning for a week and is clearing nicely. The aroma and flavour are good. Another week and I think this one will be good to go.

FF2EC5CA-AAE2-4A46-8FE0-CF6A66C4D2FA.jpeg

Next I’m going to try my Russian Imperial. This has been conditioning for 12 weeks so far and it’s nowhere near ready - the flavours are still too intense and haven’t mellowed.
BEDC7146-3840-4314-AD6D-8B4ED2E9BEA9.jpeg

Last taster for today is my “Vintage” ale that’s just over a week conditioned (so, what’s your definition of “vintage”?). It’s actually coming on really nicely and at 9.2% is pretty smooth. I will of course leave it for a while longer 🙄
78E18113-8491-4400-A7F8-9B3FA1637016.jpeg

Latest posts

Back