Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does have just a touch of a ruby tinge to it but most of what you’re seeing is of course from the red LED display. It is also slightly hazy at the moment - which is what I was checking by holding it against the display. Patience needed! 😂

It’s not as if I have nothing else to drink 🤷‍♂️

This is the latest idea and is a bit of an unknown although based on some things I do know. This means I neeeed to know right now how good it will be - no harm in being optimistic, right? 😉.

Today I kegged my latest Belgian Tripel. It was due to be kegged Saturday but stuff got in the way.

Tomorrow I’ll be brewing a new pale ale with the name “Nimrod” (thanks @Clint 😉 ). I have the water prepared, the grist prepared, and the timer set for an early start. Should be a good day tomorrow.

Finished brewing my latest IPA “Nimrod” and now enjoying a Summer Breeze in the sun. This of course is SB, not Nimrod!

6B30F355-7B9C-4485-BA4E-29A03DE24C82.jpeg

l’ll post the recipe sheet in a while, I’m just too comfortable to get up at the moment. I have 24 litres in the fermenter and I expect the ABV to be around 6.3%, IBUs around 36, SRM maybe 4-6, OG was 1054.

that last breeze is looking terribly inviting 🍻
been thinking about getting an autosyphon for quite some time. it will hopefully be before the current stout is ready for transfer.
i await nimrod with great interest.

Nimrod is still bubbling contentedly in the fermentation cabinet. Like all beers brewed for the first time I’m already impatient to try it!

Tomorrow I’ll be brewing another batch of my Best Bitter as I’m now down to my last half dozen pints. I have made some changes for this batch:
  • I’ve reduced the amount of malt because I am now achieving efficiencies of 80%-85% where I used to get about 65%. If I didn’t reduce the grain I’d be brewing a bitter around 5.5% and I want something around 4.5%.
  • I’ve reduced the bittering addition from 18g to 10g of Magnum after a discussion on another thread about IBUs in bitter. I’m curious if a little less bitterness will improve the beer or not.
  • I’m also swapping the yeast to Liberty Bell because I have loads to use up and I think it will still suit.
Grist is prepped, water is prepped, timer is set for 6:15.

Crikey just catching up and not sure how I missed your technology efforts with the new timer and new Nimrod beer! You really do give something fir a girl to aspire to 😂! Sometimes- just occasionally I think I’m keeping up with you guys then I read your thread and realise what to aim for!
Anna

Hmmm...was that the "perfect bitter" thread? I probably misunderstood but I thought there was recommendation to up the IBU?

It was. The suggestion is that bitter should have an OG:BU ratio no higher than 0.6. My Best Bitter has an OG of 1042 and IBU of 40 so my ratio is 0.95.

Reducing my bittering addition to take the IBUs to 24 will give me a ratio of 0.57.

Latest posts

Back