Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have another project!

Production is just not keeping up with demand and we’re not even having BBQs and family gatherings yet.

At the moment the bottleneck in production is my fermentation capacity so this project is to re-fit the fermentation section of my brew-shed to double capacity. I will of course post pictures for anyone with an interest.

I have another project!

Production is just not keeping up with demand and we’re not even having BBQs and family gatherings yet.

At the moment the bottleneck in production is my fermentation capacity so this project is to re-fit the fermentation section of my brew-shed to double capacity. I will of course post pictures for anyone with an interest.
Have you informed your doctor of this decision 🥴

I have another project!

Yeah, I‘m in a similar position. I have all the ingredients ready to go for a Pilsner and two free kegs but can’t do anything until I keg my APA at the weekend and free up an FV.

Yeah, I‘m in a similar position. I have all the ingredients ready to go for a Pilsner and two free kegs but can’t do anything until I keg my APA at the weekend and free up an FV.

Are you going to do something to increase capacity?

I considered moving to a fast acting yeast for faster turnaround and I considered moving to 60-litre fermenters but in the end decided to increase capacity for another couple of 30-litre buckets and keep things simple.

Are you going to do something to increase capacity?

I considered moving to a fast acting yeast for faster turnaround and I considered moving to 60-litre fermenters but in the end decided to increase capacity for another couple of 30-litre buckets and keep things simple.

Ooh, I have big plans HB 🤣
Unfortunately, these aren‘t shared by the other two members of the household ☹
Seriously though, yes, I do have some ideas where I could increase capacity. I will share these on my brew day thread once they are more clear in my head! Space is my main issue.
I‘m pretty sure I could shave some time off the fermentation process by checking the SG sooner. My beers all still stay in the FV for two weeks at least which is probably more than they really need.

Last edited:
What about fermenting in cuboid containers rather than cylindrical FV's?
You may find that 3 cubes will fit in the same space as two traditional buckets.

What about fermenting in cuboid containers rather than cylindrical FV's?
You may find that 3 cubes will fit in the same space as two traditional buckets.
It’s not a bad idea in theory assuming I can find some the right size. I do though like the fully opening lid with a bucket that makes it easy to get into and easy to clean.

I think if I started going over 25l I'd have to think of pumps for wort transfer etc as I brew indoors and my fv fridge is in the garage..or a trolley.
The same is true for me, there’s no way I’m going to be able to safely move 60-litres. Lifting a bucket in and out is easy.

Also, my boiler only produces up to 24-litres so again it makes more sense to have capacity for more buckets than have to brew two/three batches at the same time to fill one 60-litre fermenter with the same brew.

Every production process has a bottleneck I.e. The sub process that defines your capacity. Fermentation usually is the bottleneck for two reason volume and time, by adding a second FV you will double the volume and capacity but not reduce time. Also by doubling your FV's you will have moved the bottleneck to your temperature control equipment. If you reduce your primary fermentation time you solve both issues.

He uses square cube's. They look like clear plastic storage boxes.
If you fast forward to the end of the clip where's he's transfering the wort

Every production process has a bottleneck I.e. The sub process that defines your capacity. Fermentation usually is the bottleneck for two reason volume and time, by adding a second FV you will double the volume and capacity but not reduce time. Also by doubling your FV's you will have moved the bottleneck to your temperature control equipment. If you reduce your primary fermentation time you solve both issues.
My fermenters sit in a temperature controlled environment, it’s that space I’m expanding to allow more fermenters.

At the moment there is space for two fermenterand I allow two-weeks for fermentation so that’s 4 kegs a month. Adding another two fermenters will lift that to 8 kegs a month.

I could potentially reduce fermentation time by raising the temperature, switching to a fast-acting yeast, by over-pitching, or by preparing a yeast starter for every batch rather than sprinkle in some dried yeast. I’m not keen on the first two, the second two are options.

My primary fermentation with temperature control is complete in 5-7 days. I then move it to a 2FV/bottling bucket to clear, this is not temperature controlled. I have a fridge and heat pad for control so my weekly capacity is 44 litres theoretically. Are you aware of the Kanban system which triggers your next brew based on stock level, consumption, processing time.
So if your total grain to glass is 6 weeks and you consume 10 litres per week then when you have a stock of 60 litres you remake.

My primary fermentation with temperature control is complete in 5-7 days. I then move it to a 2FV/bottling bucket to clear, this is not temperature controlled. I have a fridge and heat pad for control so my weekly capacity is 44 litres theoretically. Are you aware of the Kanban system which triggers your next brew based on stock level, consumption, processing time.
So if your total grain to glass is 6 weeks and you consume 10 litres per week then when you have a stock of 60 litres you remake.
Yes, aware of Kanban and kind of use it already.

Latest posts

Back