Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve just pulled another batch of Summer Breeze out of the fermenter. Phew! Anxiety levels falling... 😂

3D39601F-95D9-4831-9077-18D0B9FE55CA.jpeg

It tastes a bit dirty at the moment but it is right out of the fermenter and was siphoned from the last dregs so it’s probably more trub than beer!

I’ve just pulled another batch of Summer Breeze out of the fermenter. Phew! Anxiety levels falling... 😂

View attachment 46192
It tastes a bit dirty at the moment but it is right out of the fermenter and was siphoned from the last dregs so it’s probably more trub than beer!
bloody hell no wonder you can’t seem to brew enough if you’ve started supping it out of the fermenter, give it chance man 🤦🏻‍♂️🍻🍻😂😂

Having just cleared up the garden after the strong winds we’ve had (garden under a carpet of leaves, twigs, and beech seeds), I’ve had a tasting session of three conditioning ales...

Russian Imperial, 9.8%, conditioned 19 weeks so far and my assessment at this point - I’d give that another 19 weeks if I were you. On the other hand, although it made me gurn with every sip, I kept going back!

Vintage Ale, 9.2%, conditioned 9 weeks so far. This still needs a lot more maturation, it’s too sweet and it isn’t yet mellow but it is getting there slowly.

Brown ale, 4.2%, conditioned 4 weeks. This one isn’t as strong clearly and is very drinkable right now. The chocolate malt though is just a little dominant and needs to back off a little. Looks like this...

4E456C95-557F-4626-A7A1-76F96D7AE926.jpeg

I’ve decided another upgrade is needed for my brew-shed cooling system...

As temperatures have been rising the cooling is working harder and despite my defrost system doing it’s job the heat exchanger is not defrosting quickly enough because the brew-shed is too cold! As frost accumulates on the heat-exchanger air-flow through it is restricted and this increases the frosting. In time this will lead to the heat exchanger icing up and I of course want to avoid that.

I may have to change the small heat-exchanger (CPU cooling radiator) for a larger one (small car radiator) but it may just be enough to increase air flow through the small heat-exchanger so I’ll try that first. To do this I’m going to swap out the PC cooling fans for a car-radiator fan which will increase air-flow massively and, I hope, ensure the heat-exchanger never frosts over.

Photos and feedback will of course be posted. ;)

I had a few pints of Summer Breeze V3.0 yesterday and it’s probably the best version so far. This is a picture of it from yesterday looking resplendent in the sun.

7F73B44F-88E8-45ED-9035-3137EEDA9CE3.jpeg

I do have a small problem though. I used Imperial Juice yeast and no one seems to have stock at present so I’ve had to order some 1318 for my next batch.

I had a few pints of Summer Breeze V3.0 yesterday and it’s probably the best version so far. This is a picture of it from yesterday looking resplendent in the sun.

View attachment 46956

I do have a small problem though. I used Imperial Juice yeast and no one seems to have stock at present so I’ve had to order some 1318 for my next batch.
You should harvest the slurry. It will get you at least another 4 goes with it. That's my method for liquid yeast. Make a starter for the first pitch then use the slurry. So at the min I have Czech wyeast 2278 and wyeast 1214 in the fridge 👍

View attachment 46956

What is your current recommendation on recipe? I fancy trying Summer Breeze but the recipe keeps evolving before I get around to it!

You should harvest the slurry. It will get you at least another 4 goes with it. That's my method for liquid yeast. Make a starter for the first pitch then use the slurry. So at the min I have Czech wyeast 2278 and wyeast 1214 in the fridge 👍

This would have been an option until 5 days ago but no longer I’m afraid. Not to worry, I’m sure 1318 will be just as good🤞

Back