Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bitter went according to plan last night and I finished this morning by transferring 22 litres of wort to the FV.

The OG was 1044 so spot on plan and if the S04 gives me 75% attenuation I should be in the middle of my target range for abv.

In the end colour is pretty much where I’d planned it to be too, see pic.

A9F14705-47FB-4A2A-AF0A-8C83543A87B6.jpeg

Now I just hope it tastes as good as I’d planned!

Brewed another batch of sweet stout last night. It’s just one of those beers that makes you feel comforted at the end of a hard day or when the weather isn’t so good. Mostly though, it just tastes really good! 24 litres in the FV, OG=1066, bubble trap blipping contentedly this morning.

It was the recipe in post #80 but I wanted a slightly larger batch and can’t get any more grain in my basket so I added 500g of dextrose at the same time as I added the lactose to maintain the abv.

I also switched yeast to MJ’s New World Strong Ale because I think this will be better suited.

Kegged the sweet stout this morning.

After switching to MJ M42 the attenuation is much higher - and I even kegged a day earlier (on day 13).

Both the previous batch and this batch had an OG of 1066. With S04 the FG was 1028. Using M42 the FG went down to 1020. My stout is now 6% so quite a bit stronger than expected.

Beautiful morning for a brew day and today I’m starting a pale ale. Kit is all set up, grain is milled, mash water coming up to temperature.

Planning on something about 4.3%, 30IBU, 15EBC as a fairly light and easy drinking partner to the bitter I made on my last brew day.

Beautiful morning for a brew day and today I’m starting a pale ale. Kit is all set up, grain is milled, mash water coming up to temperature.

Planning on something about 4.3%, 30IBU, 15EBC as a fairly light and easy drinking partner to the bitter I made on my last brew day.
What hops are you planning to use

Bought some magnum from geterbrewed the other day, I have been chopping and changing my bittering hops but plan to use it for most of my beers from now on.

Bittering hops add virtually no flavour so it makes sense to use a hop that’s pretty much perfectly designed for the job. Magnum has a high Alpha acid content so doesn’t need a lot. I’ll get my 30 IBUs from just 15g of Magnum where I would need four times as much EKG.

Magnum or admiral is normally what I use but I have started dropping the bittering hop and going all late hopping

I’ve noticed a few people cutting back on bittering. I’m not sure if that’s because hops tend to have higher alpha acids, whether it’s because late additions are becoming huge, or if tastes are changing. I like some bitterness, my wife prefers less.

Brew day done and everything went according to plan. As with the bitter, this is my first version of the recipe for this beer so I’m hoping it delivers something nice.

“Compass” Pale Ale
3.5Kg Pilsner malt
500g Flaked oats
200g Crystal malt EBC 225
200g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 150F
15g Magnum Leaf AA=15.3% 60 mins
1/2 protofloc tablet at 15 mins
30g EKG Leaf AA=4.8% 15 mins
22 litres in FV, OG=1040
1 pack S-04
Keg on day 14, FG=1008?

Brew day done and everything went according to plan. As with the bitter, this is my first version of the recipe for this beer so I’m hoping it delivers something nice.

“Compass” Pale Ale
3.5Kg Pilsner malt
500g Flaked oats
200g Crystal malt EBC 225
200g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 150F
15g Magnum Leaf AA=15.3% 60 mins
1/2 protofloc tablet at 15 mins
30g EKG Leaf AA=4.8% 15 mins
22 litres in FV, OG=1040
1 pack S-04
Keg on day 14, FG=1008?

I don't think I've made an English style pale before, always been on my list of things to brew!

As the temperature approaches boiling I skim off some of the crud at the hot break. I find this gives me less **** in the bottom of the boiler (so less chance of this ending up being drawn off into the fermenting bucket) and allows me to fill the boiler more without the hot break overflowing and creating a bloody awful mess.

On the boil scraping of the "crud" on top, is that not proteins, so paddle them gradually back into the boil?

On the boil scraping of the "crud" on top, is that not proteins, so paddle them gradually back into the boil?

Good challenge!

Proteins are a balancing act - too much and you might have lots of haze or lots of sediment, too little and not enough body or weak head retention. I mostly do it to save a boil-over and struggle to make myself brew smaller batches!

I have been thinking about two mashes per brew or getting a bigger boiler but not yet done either.

Latest posts

Back